Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Paiste Formula 602 20" Ride - pre serial?

I have the chance to get this cymbal. Don't really know all the details about the Formula 602's, is this what they call the pre-serial model? Asking price is around 200usd. What do you say, go for it? I was originally looking for a 2002 when I stumbled upon this.

3 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

They don't go cheap, but have a great rep. I love all mine. Have you heard it? They 're like glass--clear, bright, simple, precise. Nothing complex about them.....marko

Posted on 13 years ago

I have a 20" pre-serial with the Red ink marking "medium ride" on it, cymbal in very good condition and I turned down quite a few offers over $300.00 at the San Diego show.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 13 years ago

They are very consistent.......

It's harder to find a bad 602 then an A.Zildjian......in my book anyway.

Most are very good/great!

Had a friend who was going to buy all vintage 2002's....

I told him I liked 602's better.......so,he went all 602's,and he said his band members love them!

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

Buy it!!!!!!

Don't be a foolMister T

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks! I got it together with a newish 2002 18" Crash for 372usd. Up until now I only got the chance to play with them for a few hours and I can say I love both of them separately though I'm not convinced they really get together very well. I usually like to crash my ride a lot and this one offers me great sonic satisfaction but I am a bit worried about damaging it, any tips?

Posted on 13 years ago

Most 602's are medium weight, I'd say--not particularly thin. But I've heard they seem to crack more often than ,say, Zildjian A's. Anybody else hear this? They may be more brittle. They have a clear, glassy sound. I wouldn't crash them hard on a regular basis--there are plenty of other good but more common cymbals for that style. All my 602's do crash great, but I'm not a hard hitter....marko

Posted on 13 years ago

Maybe you're thinking of the 2002s they're the ones that got the wrap about cracking easy, not the 602s. I think they may have cracked more often because they were used by more heavy hitters.

Posted on 13 years ago

i have cut quite a few cymbals down , that were severely edge cracked---made some interesting oddities out of them for drummers on a budget or just looking for something different. i don't do it on a lathe ,i do it with shears and then dress the edge. the few 602s that i have done are the most crystalline and brittle cymbals that I have come across.cutting them is like cutting glass. the crystals are very large, which means that they would resist cracking more, up to a threshhold but once that threshold was crossed, the cracking would be severe.i have never seen one bent and this goes with the crystal structure. a lot of cymbals with a finer structure would dent before breaking and the break could be quite small. i have to say, that A. Zildjians have a place all to themselves in this regard because , the crystal structure is impeccable; they resist cracking and bending as well, although they do crack but I have never seen a bent A. Zildjian. just about every other cymbal other than 602s and Signatures, I have seen bent.

a lot of cymbals are damaged because of being dropped. 602's would be more vulnerable to this----so, handle with care.

Posted on 13 years ago

Hey, thank you all for the replies and great tips! It's always very nice to see so much knowledge and experience shared. In the meantime I got the chance to play my new old cymbals some more and they really grew on me :) I have never cracked a cymbal except 1 which already had a few dings when I got it. I don't consider myself a hard hitter and I always take great care in handling my cymbals (don't remember ever dropping one) - hope things remain like this.:D

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here