Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

Paiste 602 rivet holes - original?

Good morning, gentlemen (well, it's morning here)!

I may have an opportunity to buy this vintage (probably) 20" Paiste Formula 602 ride. It has presumably six rivet holes. I want to ask, if you think they could be factory, or if they're aftermarket. Currently, Paiste doesn't offer 602 sizzle. Did they do so back in the day? How do yu think the sound will be affected by those holes?

Thank you.

Jan

1 attachments
Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 10 years ago

From Gilnar

Good morning, gentlemen (well, it's morning here)!I may have an opportunity to buy this vintage (probably) 20" Paiste Formula 602 ride. It has presumably six rivet holes. I want to ask, if you think they could be factory, or if they're aftermarket. Currently, Paiste doesn't offer 602 sizzle. Did they do so back in the day? How do yu think the sound will be affected by those holes?Thank you.Jan

Paiste does offer a sizzle option, if you send the cymbal back to their office (in North America, it's La Brea California) with the pattern that you wish to use.

If the holes are evenly spaced, its likely original; I've seen three-hole patterns and six-hole patterns that were from the factory.

Posted on 10 years ago

Paiste doesn't believe in rivets I read somewhere...thats why you see so few..

BUT..the factory ones I have seen have always had just 4....

3,6,9,12 o'clock......

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately, I found out from another photo that the cymbal has a huge cut-out, so I'm passing on this deal. Oh well.

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

Posted on 10 years ago

From Gilnar

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately, I found out from another photo that the cymbal has a huge cut-out, so I'm passing on this deal. Oh well.

And now yet another 602 that broke.

Anyone seeing a pattern emerging here?

Posted on 10 years ago

Yep,,,602 are prone to crack,,,old K's are prone to sound bad,,,,exceptions,,,well of course.:2Cents:

Posted on 10 years ago

From Dardrum

Yep,,,602 are prone to crack,,,old K's are prone to sound bad,,,,exceptions,,,well of course.:2Cents:

Actually most cymbals are prone to sounding bad.

Until you find the one you like.

Posted on 10 years ago

Well,,,,darn,,,I can't argue that Clapping Happy2

Posted on 10 years ago

I've heard that they offered it back then and I own two riveted 602s myself. One of them definitely looks like the previous owner did it while the other one is such a perfect job I assume it was by the factory.

As for them being more prone to cracking, I've had my set of 602s for close to three years now and have had no problems playing them in jazz, funk and rock contexts. Then again, I'm not a heavy hitter and I take care of them.

Posted on 10 years ago

Wanna know a funny thing? The guy posted the ad again, but this time without the photo showing the cut-out.

Heh.

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here