Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

Paiste 502 plus VS Giant Beats

I have read that the Paiste 502 Plus sound very similar to Giant Beats. Is this true? I am not sure the 502's are vintage but the Giant Beats are and that is the cymbal sound I am looking for. I am currently trying to buy the 3 re-issues of the Giant Beats but I am willing to try the 502's because they are a lot cheaper.

Also, how can you distinguish the difference between regular 502's and 502 plus. I have seen 502's for sale and did an image search and never see any 502's that say plus on them.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Oh lordy, no ! 502's whether "plus" or not, really aren't very good cymbals...sorta cookie-cutter low-line cymbals. The 802's are actually quite decent, but the 502's are in the vicinity of Zildjian ZBT or Sabian B8.

Apples and oranges when compared to Giant Beats.

If you are looking for cheaper Paiste alternatives to the GB's....look at something like 802's or 505's...or maybe Alphas as long as they are THINNER ones.

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

I would say before you make any purchases, you need to keep researching and try to find some and play some. Find someone local who have some for sale (local GC or other music store).

Shoot - just realized this is an old thread! Well, would loved to hear what you ended up purchasing and what you thought.

The reason I say keep researching is because I have some 505 medium HHs and was in the process of making a video comparing a bunch of hat in order to sell some, including a pair of the 502 plus HHs.....when I played them next to the 505s, I was stunned at how good they sounded (the 502plus HHs). They do sound different to the 505s, more refined, but I was really blown away at how good they sounded. I am frustrated with my 505s for some reason and am considering selling the 505s off and replacing them with some a pair of 502 plus - as I ended up selling the pair I had....and now regret it if I am not going to be happy with my 505s.

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 11 years ago

Don't be fooled, just listen with your ears. The 18'' 502+ crash/ride IS exactly like the Giant Beat crash you hear on Zep's Immigrant Song. Check them out.

www.brendanpeleolazar.com
Posted on 11 years ago

I purchased in 1972 a new Paiste Giant Beat 24" ride cymbal and performed with it for about 10 years before selling/trading it. The size was the primary reason I tired of it - more difficult to pack and transit than the standard sized cymbals. Secondary reason was it's "roar" once in motion, being the kind of cymbal useful only in high volume stage use. However, I found the overall 'timbre' and sound of the cymbal quite good, and its 'ping' definitely could be heard over stacks of Marshall and Hi-Watt amps.

Early this year I acquired a new Paiste 502 Plus 20" medium ride cymbal. In my opinion the overall characteristics of the cymbal are a strong reminder of the above mentioned Giant Beat. The sound has the same general timbre and piercing stick ping as my old Giant Beat, but I find the bell 'acceptable though rather less responsive and 'weak'. When 'whacked' with the shoulder of a stick on the bow while riding, the 502 fails to punctuate the rhythm and articulate a crash - it just keeps up a loud uncontrolled spread.

In short, I think the 502 Plus does closely resemble the overall sound character of the Giant Beat line, especially when considering its a lower priced line manufactured in Germany using very high tech computerized methods. This being said I never recommend buying cymbals without first playing and hearing them to determine whether or not they match up with your set, style of music(s), and of course your other cymbals with which they will be set up and played. Hope this helps! :cool:

Posted on 11 years ago

Giant Beats are awesome we have a ton in our store, used at LOW prices. Check out 247drums.com

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here