Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.06889%

Paiste 404 HHs

Sorry if this is not much of a topic to discuss, not a question or anything.

I just came across what I believe is one of Hazelshould's best description on his listing for these! Not only accurate, but downright poetic!

[ame]http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-Longer-Made-Paiste-14-404-Heavy-Hihats-TERRIFIC-CD-772-960-GRAMS-/281422532437?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4186170f55[/ame]

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 10 years ago

You have played a set of 404's? I'm interested in these.

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 10 years ago

I used to have some 404 Medium hats, but decided they were too thin - where the thinness was too extreme. When tight, it was prone to produce the DINK noise with no wash. They do have wonderful wash.

Therefore, I do indeed highly recommend these Heavy hats, unless you just want to go with some 505s.

I do now have some 404 Sounde Edge hats. My top used to have a dent in it. Repaired (forcefully permanently popped out) but now works and seems to sound fine. I rarely used them together and the bottom is a great B8 rippled SE bottom. For that reason, I will always keep it.

I must note, that recently have come to appreciate the 70s (yellow - likely B8) black ink CAMBER top hat - with the stamp MEINL AMBICO CAMBER. It is almost identical to the 404s in lathing and sound. Actually, the MAC is brighter and wetter. Of all things, I run with a Pearl CX-500 bottom (brass or B8?). Bizarre what combinations you discover.

But the 404 Heavy hats - yeah, great stuff! Definitely better than the Mediums. Notice the weights, still thin.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

Posted on 10 years ago

Hey you guys - thought I would tip you off on this. THIS OFFERING ENDS IN 11 HOURS.

Read this whole thread (and other CAMBER threads I have shared on) to understand the similarities with the Paise 404s and why I shared this here.

I have discovered that these yellow (B8 likely) CAMBER HHs (from the 70s I think) are really smooth and buttery as well. Amazing wash. I used to have the CAMBER IIs from the 80s.....these older CAMBERS are way better than those. I actually run a Pearl CX-500 bottom over mine (to achieve a wetter attack and brighter sound) and it is an amazing pair. This CAMBER TOP is an amazing top that sounds great under alot of good bottoms of many types. Wanted to tip you all off on this auction - GREAT deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camber-14-Hi-Hat-Cymbal-set-/271597097798?ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:3160

Posted on 10 years ago

My good friend has a set that i sold him last year , he may let them go he just got a set of 2002 15" sound edge plates.

80's 13 pc sonor signature
1979 12 pc ludwig power factory
Posted on 10 years ago

Hazelshould's description of these hats were THE reason i bought a pair of these.. Mine are from 1983 and they're brown label.. Beautiful hats..Perfect for my lower volume gigs, but sensitive enough, with just enough Paiste crystal clear highs and stick definition to make any sound guy or Paiste collector cry tears of joy.. Dark and trashy for sure, giving today's signature dark energies a run for their money..The 404 family is like that mafia family who defies all truces and vendettas...

The black sheep of the Paiste family, yes ! Better than most of today's Paiste budget cymbals, you kidding ? No contest..I will never sell these babies.. I had a set of black label 404 medium 15"s that i sold like a moron, but i had to because they were just collecting dust after i got my 14's.. I payed $30 Cdn, dollars for mine, in almost factory original condition from some ignorant 20 year old.. I definitely had a horseshoe hanging from my neck that day.. I would surely recommend these hats to anyone..

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here