Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Paiste 2002 18" cracked

I'm going to attempt to repair this cymbal with a cutoff wheel and a pneumatic die grinder. I've done it before and the cymbal still sounds very good. At least I hope so...It'll end up looking like this unless that crack extends further than this pic provides. The affordable way to a good sounding cymbal IMO.

Posted on 13 years ago

Why don`t you just put it on the bandsaw and cut it down to a 16" ??

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

Actually ,it looks more like 14" !!

Posted on 13 years ago

I did that recently (on a bandsaw) and the resulting cymbal is pretty much useless-almost a gonglike tone.

Posted on 13 years ago

From teverson-sr

I did that recently (on a bandsaw) and the resulting cymbal is pretty much useless-almost a gonglike tone.

Yes, I've heard this same result from others. They really sound good still just grinding out the affected area only.

Posted on 13 years ago

I wonder why that is !! There must be some thickness to radius rule or something.

Posted on 13 years ago

[COLOR="Purple"]I disagree with the assessment that it becomes useless. It does dry the sound out a bit; and on a cymbal of a small size such a cutout might kill it. But on an 18"....it should work out OK. It sorta depends on how much "cushion" you wanna give the crack. Sometimes folks cut out too LARGE a cymbal area. You wanna find a happy medium.

Granted, it won't sound the same as before, but it still will probably be a usable cymbal....but looking at that photo...I think a proportion of cutout-to-whole like that would be OK.

This is often a better alternative than cutting the entire cymbal down. If the crack gets to 1" in from the edge (meaning a reduction in diameter of 2" should you cut it down)...that alters the response/performance of the cymbal way, way more than slicing off a piece as pictured above. You can get away w/ it with a thin cymbal or a large cymbal 21"+; but 2002's aren't thin......and this one's only an 18"-er.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 13 years ago

repaired craked cymbals. the sound you get may vary from cymbal to cymbal. if your fixing cheap cymbals like sabian b8's they dont sound very good to begin with. now cut into that same cymbal for sure you get a gong sound. now repairing a quality pro cymbal like 2002/hh/k's is likely to have better results they sound good in the first place so if you got to cut into the cymbal the cymbal retains some of the original tonal qualities

80's 13 pc sonor signature
1979 12 pc ludwig power factory
Posted on 13 years ago

I bought the 18" Paiste 2002 cymbal for approx. $35 so it's worth a try. Yes, it is a medium so it's thick as Jaye stated...maybe I'll try and make a vid of myself doing it once I receive it. I have a 16" zildjian thin crash that was cracked along the edge of the bell about half way around the bell (seems like someone stepped or fell on it to crack it like this) and drilled a hole at each end and ground out a space in between. It's useable but really altered it's tone. I've done it on a 16" cracked B8 also and it still sounds fine...for a B8. I also have a top New-Beat hat that I did this to that was cracked about an inch in and 4-5" long and this thing still sounds great. For some reason, I have to go on as administrator on my computer to transfer pics from my camera. I tried this on user and it messes with my camera..this is how I lost pics that I had of the Chicago drum show... Here are pics of a couple repair jobs..

Posted on 13 years ago

From Olimpass

I'm going to attempt to repair this cymbal with a cutoff wheel and a pneumatic die grinder. I've done it before and the cymbal still sounds very good. At least I hope so...It'll end up looking like this unless that crack extends further than this pic provides. The affordable way to a good sounding cymbal IMO.

I had the same problem with a 17" 2002 thin crash. I cut and ground out a tighter radius and it still sounds great. Just gotta make sure I keep the affected area away from from where I'm playing it. (Those 2002's ain't cheap.)

Vintage Drum Fan (Not a Guru)
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here