Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

Paiste 200 Hi-Hats

So when I first started drumming a friend of mine had given me a set of Paiste 200 14" Hi-Hats he had sitting in his basement. Being a new drummer they were great because they were the first and only set of hats I had for a few years. Eventually the top hat cracked, then chunks came out. So for nearly 17/18 years I've just had the lone bottom. Was lucky enough to find just a top for sale on ebay for $20. Came in the mail yesterday and I instantly grabbed my hi-hat stand and threw them on. Holy Moly! These things sound fantastic, better than I remember. I'm honestly thinking of replacing my '50s Zildjian A's with these for future shows and recording sessions. I know they were lower end Paiste, but man oh man what a sound. Anyone else ever use the 200 series? I know they made a whole line, but the hats are the only ones I've personally come across.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 7 years ago

I have not seen any 200s. Funny paiste wiki page says they are brass. I wouldn't have doubted that 201s would sound okay since they were bronze. Not a fan of brass cymbals here. I'm surprised. Another interesting thing is it looks like they also came in sound edge. Sound edge brass hats.

http://paiste-only.com/paistewiki/index.php?title=200

Wanted: Pearl President floor tom in Golden Grain wrap and rack tom in Tiger Eye (root beer) wrap.
Posted on 7 years ago

I have a set of the Ludwig Standard Paiste 14” Hi-hats I have had since the mid 1960s. They are the only hats I have ever owned and played, and I still gig with them several times a month.

My kit:
Ludwig Vistalite Big Beat set consisting of:
14” X 22” bass, 16” X 16” floor tom, 8” X 12” ride tom, 9” X 13” ride tom, 5” X 14” snare
Ludwig 201 Speed King bass drum pedal
Ludwig 1124 Spur-lok hit-hat with Ludwig Standard Paiste 14” cymbals (760 & 770 gr) with ching-ring
Two Ludwig Standard S-270 cymbals stands
18” Zildjian crash cymbal (1550 gr) and 20” Zildjian ride cymbal (2130 gr) with CAMCO sizzler
Gibraltar motorcycle seat-style drum throne with backrest
Posted on 7 years ago

I don't typically like Brass cymbals myself, but this set of hats just sounds awesome. Could be too that the bottom when I had gotten it years ago was totally green from oxidation, and the top I just got has also changed in color. Almost a orange hue to the cymbal. So I wouldn't doubt this has changed the sonic characteristics.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 7 years ago

I suppose it is a lesson to be relearned over and over. Listen with your ears not your eyes. I'm guilty.

Wanted: Pearl President floor tom in Golden Grain wrap and rack tom in Tiger Eye (root beer) wrap.
Posted on 7 years ago

Some of these lower end Paiste's sound pretty decent, although i can't say that i'm a fan of the 200 series. The lowest series that were phenomenal sounding to me, are the 404's, both black and brown label, and both of which I owned and regretted selling at the time. Now, i have a pair (with a complete set of ride and crash) of the black label, 1st generation 505's.. These are the 404's more complex bigger brother and sound very similar, with similar weights. The later 80's green label 505's were much heavier and diverse. I just sold my brown label 404 medium hi hats because as much as i love them, they weren't getting used enough, plus the fact that the 505's i own are basically the same sounding.

But i agree that some lower end models will sound great to different people.

Posted on 7 years ago

Paiste is one of the few companies I know that made some decent lower lines years before others started. And their lines during the '80s it seems were a bit all over. Between the 1000,2000,3000,and 2002 ( which were all relatively the same ) you had the 200,400,500,900 lines. Some had the rude finish, color sound. A lot of these lines weren't around long. But certainly a few gems within.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 7 years ago

I recently picked up a 20" 400 Power Ride and really like how it sounds....good bell and still crashable. If you like how a cymbal sounds...who cares what series it is or how much it costs right?

Posted on 7 years ago

From ardrummer

I recently picked up a 20" 400 Power Ride and really like how it sounds....good bell and still crashable. If you like how a cymbal sounds...who cares what series it is or how much it costs right?

I agree 100% with that.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 7 years ago

I TOTALLY agree with you, ARCHX on these.

I have a set myself, and you motivated me to dig them out. Damn if they don't sound mighty fine! Very dry but still on the light side. Great for jazz! For brass, they sure are mellow and subdued.

Here's another question:

Was there a difference between Paiste 200 and 300 series? I know they were both brass and looked similar. I have a Paiste 300 series 20" ride that is brass with the large round hammering; looking pretty much identical to my 200 hats (they both have black ink stamps with no Paiste engraving or serial number). It's all tarnished and rusted and that thing is great! Very dry, super crashable! Reminds me of a poor man's version of one of the original Sabian DeJohnette rides (the ones that looked dark brown with the white ink logos).

Finally, on still another related note, I once came across a Paiste "Brass Tones-Tribal Tones" 20" ride that belonged to a studio I was recording in a few years go. That was a great sounding ride cymbal!

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here