Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Paiste 1970's cymbal valuation...

Hello,

Just bought these Paiste cymbals with a Slingerland set. I am curious as to what they're worth seperately. I posted in the 'vintage drums' section asking what the value is on the Slingerland shells. I spent $2,000.00 for the entire set (which included a DW5000 single bass pedal and hi-hat stand, an assortment of boom cymbal stands, hardware clamps and arms, trap cases, shell cases, and cymbal bag).

I'm trying to figure a price point for these items individually.

Description:

Early 1970's(?) 14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats, 16" 2002 Thin Crash, 18" 2002 Thin Crash, and 20" 2002 Heavy Ride. All in very good condition with no cracks. They don't seem 35 years old, so maybe they are 80's cymbals? Sound is bright and articulate.

Thank you for your thoughts,

Chris

Posted on 16 years ago

Chris are they black label or red label. Also with the hats, if the numbers are in sequence, they are matched. Post some pics and/or number and can tell you more.

BBK

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

BBK,

The labels are black for all cymbals. Here are the serials:

20" Paiste 2oo2 Heavy Ride: 736076

18" Paiste 2oo2 Crash: 744030

16" Paiste 2oo2 Crash: 739292

14" Paiste Sound Edge Hi-Hat (TOP): 627019

14" Paiste Sound Edge Hi-Hat (BOTTOM): 642181

Thanks again,

JDC

Posted on 16 years ago

Ride and crashes are 1977, hi-hats are 1976, but not matched pair. The Heavy Ride is a peculiar one, sometimes they're not as desirable, but then you get someone who really wants one. The crashes are always easy to sell, 75-100 for the 16, 100-125 for the 18. I'm fairly conservative because of the "economy" The hi-hats would get more if they were sequential, a matched pair sold recently for 340.00, so 200 plus might happen.

I have two pairs of black label 2002's, both Sound edge and sequential and very strong logos on both. One pair is very light, the others are a little heavier. They are a unique sound, not for everyone. Right now I'm using the good old New Beats. If you ever want to sell the crashes, hit me up with some pics, I might be interested

BBK

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

BBK,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. It seems as though the cymbals were acquired a few years after the kit was made. Interesting. I absolutely love the 16" crash. But if I do decide to sell, I'll PM you first.

With the hi-hats, I wonder if they were out of sequence and unmatched on purpose, for reasons pertaining to desired sound characteristics? The bottom hat has the ripples on the edge. Maybe the other matched bottom wasn't rippled and the original buyer wanted the rippled edge? I don't know enough though to claim that as the case.

I like the New Beats too. Before the Paiste's I was playing Zildjian K's (bought new in 2006). The K's might record better (being a darker cymbal), but the Paiste's just give more life to my kit's overall live sound. Brighter than K's, but still thin and washy sounding with a little more sustain. I've played both the K's and 2002's together and they sound great! I will definitely be playing these on my next gig.

One more quick question: Is it okay to use any generic cymbal cleaning solution on these Paiste cymbals, or should I invest in a Paiste formula?

Thanks again,

JDC

Posted on 16 years ago

try Groove Juice....just spray it on and hose it off....works great

Posted on 16 years ago

I am not one who likes to clean cymbals, I think that the oxidation makes it better. I don't clean cymbals other than soap and water, if very often at all. I like to see all the logos, no matter what the age and the patina.

BBK

Posted on 16 years ago

Nice cymbals. Very desireable set. The hats are unmatched, even sound edge hats had consecutive serial numbers. Like I said in the other thread, I would go a bit higher than bbk's estimates but I know he is being conservative. If the logos are strong and the cymbals in original condition then you may be surprised how high they go.

I use Paiste cymbal cleaner and protector exclusively on all my Paistes. It works especially well on the B8 cymbals like the 2oo2's and has minimal logo impact.

If you're selling to make the most money, sell separately and do not clean first. However a complete set of black labels is very desireable and collectable now....you may find someone who would bite.

If it was me, I would keep them and enjoy them.

Posted on 15 years ago

From JazzDrummerChris

BBK,the Paiste's just give more life to my kit's overall live sound. Brighter than K's, but still thin and washy sounding with a little more sustain.

Chris, try a little time recording with those sound edge hats before ya sell 'em.

I really didn't like the sound of mine from behind the kit, and they tend to overpower anything less than rockin' volumes - - but, man, on tape, those hats sounded awesome (with the mic turned down quite a bit, of course).

Posted on 15 years ago

Any ideas on the value of these Paiste 2002's that I've had forever...

20" Ride 426289

14" HH's 626879/626880

18" Crash 629858.

From the earlier posts, I'm guessing these are from '74 for the ride, and '76 for the others. They came with a '77 Rogers kit I bought many moons ago.

The crash has a couple small cracks (1/4-1/2") eminating from the center hole. I'm sure that devalues it, but I don't know how much. (Despite the flaws, I love the way this cymbal plays.)

Thanks in advance...

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here