Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

Outside of the box thinking....

The more projects I work on, the more success I have doing things that would be considered "Crazy".

Soap Box

As musicians, most of us are in the box thinkers... we clean our cymbals with the BRAND cymbal cleaner (NONE OF IT WORKS WORTH CRAP!)... we end up replacing and throwing out things that could have been fixed...

I'm always looking for better ways to do things.. clean things, restore things. So this is just a note to encourage the rest of you to think outside the box.

When repairing wood.. ask yourself.. what industries would have the best, most demanding, and most durable wood repair products??.... hmm.. think hard..... what else is made of wood that has a CRITICAL need for reliability? give up? Boats. Yep. The boating biz has wood repair products that can fix cracks, and repair stuff that most of us would say "hell with it".....

How about hardware? Hmm? Hardware..... Chrome....... CARS! Oh yeah.. the best chrome cleaners are car products for sure. Removing rust, and cleaning up the chrome is worth a trip to a good auto store.

Ever have your drums vibrate apart? or stuff coming loose? Yeah.. that used to happen to me too... I had a pedal vibrate apart during a gig.. How do you fix that? Ask a machinist! Thread locker! Yeah.. the Loctite stuff. The blue kind... It's removable with hand tools, but stuff sure doesn't come apart anymore.

Cymbal cleaning.. here's a really fun one. Once upon a time, on another drum forum, I spend the better half of the summer experimenting with cleaning an old Sabian that looked like ass. by the end of the summer, I had the shiniest cymbal on earth. Sold it on Ebay for more than I paid! LOL.

My secret for that? Flitz... it's a generic metal cleaner.. NO.. it didn't make the cymbal sound bad...

Think outside the music catalog, and your restore projects will go much better.

The Greats innovate, most of us imitate. The smartest ones do both.

You can quote me on that one.

Vex

Posted on 14 years ago

Vex:

One of most sensible, well-written and informative posts I've read in some time!

I've been attempting to think "outside the box" for some time now with some significant progress. However, I must say that at a recent leadership seminar a short time ago I was informed that there no longer is a "box" to think inside or outside of and that the whole "box concept" is now considered a thing of the past. If so, I'm sure that it's been replaced by some new, creative phrase. That's the way it usually seems to play out.

As far as being considered "crazy", I vividly recall the mother of a girl I was dating in my youth (many, many, many, many years ago) warning her to watch out for me because "all drummers are crazy!"LoLoLoLo

THANKS for sharing your thoughts!

Posted on 14 years ago

It's amazing how much great stuff for fixing drums were never imagined for drums. The AutoParts store is one of my favorite haunts when I'm working on a project.. We have a great local drum shop too that is really nice to work with.. they tend to be secretive about the repair techniques, and understandibly so. I've followed as much as I could, and I know they use may things that were originally intended for other industries.

Posted on 14 years ago

How's THIS for outta the box? Last summer I was going crazy attempting to get what appeared to be a tape residue off an old Zildjian A. Tried all sorts of cleaners and WD 40 which is great for glue residue. When it came time to strip the floors (I am a school custodian), I dipped it into the floor stripper. BTW,I dipped an old cracked A first to make sure it would not hurt the cymbal. Anyway,they both looked brand new .I'm gonna dip my hi hats this week. Only thing is it will remove any ink stampings but as I said,these were older ,pre ink.

Posted on 14 years ago

What kind of floor stripper? I'm curious to know what's in it. (And curious to see if it might be the same stuff my school district uses.)

I teach percussion at a high school and to keep their equipment in working order, I've probably made most of my purchases from businesses that aren't music stores. I've bought things at the grocery store (Bar Keepers Friend), auto parts stores (Evapo-Rust, rubber tubing), and the people at the hardware store know me really well from all my trips there. One other purchase that comes to mind is tennis racquet string -- it's basically a modern replacement for catgut strings and makes a great replacement for gut snares.

Posted on 14 years ago

Skydog ,We use Bravo low odor non ammonia stripper by Johnson. It comes in a 5 gallon box and gets diluted in a 33 gallon barrel of water. I dip the cymbals into the diluted solution,not straight stripper.If you do this,wear rubber gloves! Maybe you can get a material safety data sheet on line which will give you ingredients. I am actually off this week but,can get you that info next week.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here