Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

Opinions on old cymbal and doesn't fit modern stand

Hi, newbie to vintage stuff here... I received an old Alejian Cymbal ... excited to test it out and won't fit my stands. Are there modern stands that are sized? Do you purchase "vintage" stands? Just curious how folks have dealt with this issue. Thanks in advance for everyone's insights!

Posted on 8 years ago

It's a issue with old bronze you can drill it out a little and welcome to the vdf

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 8 years ago

The standard size for holes shifted from 7/16" to 1/2" in the late 1950s. Here is a bit about hole sizes:

http://black.net.nz/avedis/holes.html

The smaller sized hole means your Alejian is probably an older one.

http://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-gallery.html#alejian

Yes you can enlarge the hole. There are some modern stands which fit 7/16" holes but you might find it more convenient to enlarge the hole rather than search for the right kind of stand. On the other hand there are some people who believe that enlarging the mounting hole of a vintage cymbal is sacrilege.

Posted on 8 years ago

Depends on the pie !

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 8 years ago

I have a large collection of 50's / 60's super zyn cymbals and just drill out the hole to suit modern stands. It tends to get rid of the key holing too!

Posted on 8 years ago

There was a thread on DFO about a simple modification to use a smaller dia stud for the older cymbals. Like a necked down spacer type deal. I think that might be the way to go vs drilling that pup out. Maybe someone will see this and post it. I'll take a look for it too.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 8 years ago

I found a gibraltar cymbal arm and filed down the sleeve so it fits the current cymbal. I don't have tools to drill a cymbal... it's funny how the protective sleeve is the issue and how easy it would be to make it a mm thinner to fit...

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here