Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

Old Zildjian K I think??

This cymbal is at a music store for $220.00. Is it worth it? Can anyone tell me what it is? The man at the store thinks it is an old Zildjian K with a transition stamp. He took picture of it and e-mailed them to me so I could attach them here. Unfortunately he didn't get the whole cymbal. Hopefully the stamp is enough.

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

I'd bet $220 that it's NOT an old K.

It looks like a section of a Pasha stamp.

A K would be stamped the other way around, with the bow of the crescent facing the bell, not the edge. "Trademark" would be on the same side of the crescent.

Drumaholic has one of those Rosetta Stones of other stamps - so he'd be the expert at telling the stamp.

My vote is that it's not an old K, but a Pasha.

Posted on 14 years ago

From jeremybranson

I'd bet $220 that it's NOT an old K.It looks like a section of a Pasha stamp. A K would be stamped the other way around, with the bow of the crescent facing the bell, not the edge. "Trademark" would be on the same side of the crescent.Drumaholic has one of those Rosetta Stones of other stamps - so he'd be the expert at telling the stamp.My vote is that it's not an old K, but a Pasha.

Is Pasha a cymbal company or a model name?

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]It's a PASHA, correct. Good Italian cymbals from the 70's....made at the UFIP plant I believe. They are a "stencil" name made at UFIP.

Very nice Jazz-sorta cymbals....B20 alloy, handmade. I believe for a spell they were the stock cymbals for Rogers kits. Usually cannot withstand heavy-hitter-headbangers as for the most part they were thin to medium weights. I collected a whole set of these from 2 rides down to a splash. They make me quite happy when I pull 'em out.flower

$220 for a 22" is a bit overpriced. I would say $140-160 is more of a market value.

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]It's a PASHA, correct. Good Italian cymbals from the 70's....made at the UFIP plant I believe. They are a "stencil" name made at UFIP.Very nice Jazz-sorta cymbals....B20 alloy, handmade. I believe for a spell they were the stock cymbals for Rogers kits. Usually cannot withstand heavy-hitter-headbangers as for the most part they were thin to medium weights. I collected a whole set of these from 2 rides down to a splash. They make me quite happy when I pull 'em out.flower$220 for a 22" is a bit overpriced. I would say $140-160 is more of a market value.[/COLOR]

Good to know thanks.

This may sound crazy but what does stencil exactly mean? I see it used all the time but I am not sure of the exact definition.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Made by an established company - but branded\engraved\stamped\badged under another name, basically FYI[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

UFIP cymbals were also distributed by Gretsch in the 70's and 80's.

I have a 10" UFIP splash that I'm quite fond of.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Ajaha was also a brand which Gretsch carried in their catalogues for decades. initially I believe they were a small cymbalmaker in Italy....eventually UFIP stenciled them in the 70's.

Yes, UFIP marketed their own brand from the 50's onward at least. UFIP roughly translates as " the union of Italian cymbalmakers"...so over time, as small independent workshops such as Ajaha, Bellotti, & Zanchi couldn't compete or stopped production, they were folded into the UFIP banner.

I do not believe Pasha was ever an independent maker, however. I believe they were solely a stencil line always produced by UFIP.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Made by an established company - but brandedengravedstampedbadged under another name, basically FYI[/COLOR]

I get it now thanks. Kinda like how Rogers was bought out but the new company kept the Rogers name on the drums?

Posted on 14 years ago

Here's a thread with Drumaholics' Rosetta Stone.

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here