Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.06889%

Old Zildjian doesn't fit over cymbal insert?

I picked up an old 14" Ziljian and it doesn't fit over the cymbal insert on my stands. Is that normal and does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance from newbie drummer and poster...

Posted on 10 years ago

Old K Istanbul cymbals have very small holes that will not fit over today's standard 8 mm (I think) posts. You can get around this by looking for stands with smaller posts, or by modifying the post on your present stand, i.e. by exchanging the insert for something slimmer.

A third option is to enlarge the cymbal hole.

/Magnus

Posted on 10 years ago

You need a 6mm top post to fit the cymbal...They are available, you just have to look...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks for the replies! I was previously unaware of the differences in post sizes. Looking forward to getting this straightened out. I tried this guy out on an older stand that I have with no insert and it's got a nice sound.

Posted on 10 years ago

Is it a Hihat cymbal...if so....maybe an older clutch....

Or as mentioned an older std will wrk...

Sounds like you have a trans stamp zild cymbal...@1948/53 erra..

Post a clr pic of the stamped logo ...it's on the top side...about 1" in from the outter edge...

If the outter edges of the stamp (9 & 3) on the position ,like a clock...are stamped heavier then the rest of the stamp...and the centre hole is smaller then usually...sounds like you got yrself a nice cymbal....not sure if it's a hat CYM or crash CYM..?

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 10 years ago

What does that zildjian center hole measure in mm??? I might be able to make you an adapter so you don't go the way of drilling your vintage cymbal.

Posted on 10 years ago

From RIMS n SKINS

Is it a Hihat cymbal...if so....maybe an older clutch....Or as mentioned an older std will wrk...Sounds like you have a trans stamp zild cymbal...@1948/53 erra..Post a clr pic of the stamped logo ...it's on the top side...about 1" in from the outter edge...If the outter edges of the stamp (9 & 3) on the position ,like a clock...are stamped heavier then the rest of the stamp...and the centre hole is smaller then usually...sounds like you got yrself a nice cymbal....not sure if it's a hat CYM or crash CYM..?

See pic, looks like what you describe in terms of the stamping. Weight is 764g. I'm using it as a crash, though I suppose it would work as a hat too. It's also a sizzle cymbal with 6 holes, and it sounds pretty cool with rivets. I've got a nice set of older Zildjian hats but I might experiment with it in that context. Thanks for the reply!

[IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40047307/resize.JPG[/IMG]

Posted on 10 years ago

From bassfunkbum

What does that zildjian center hole measure in mm??? I might be able to make you an adapter so you don't go the way of drilling your vintage cymbal.

Well there's no way I'm going to drill it, that's for sure. I'd rather find another solution. It's 15/32 or about 12mm. If you have a solution I'd appreciate hearing about it very much! Otherwise I guess I'll be on the hunt for vintage stands unless there's another solution. Thanks for the reply!

Posted on 10 years ago

From prakashananda

Well there's no way I'm going to drill it, that's for sure. I'd rather find another solution. It's 15/32 or about 12mm. If you have a solution I'd appreciate hearing about it very much! Otherwise I guess I'll be on the hunt for vintage stands unless there's another solution. Thanks for the reply!

Ive read your post great old cymbal but i agree, drill it but keep it neat. Ive repaired many a zildjian by grinding the crack out of cymbals as drilling them dont work. The hole wont even be an issue as most people wouldnt know unless told....sean

Posted on 10 years ago

From prakashananda

Looks great...

Find an older CYM std or a top part of a CYM std and clamp it to yr reg CYM std..as mentioned earlier you can buy just the tops....they usually unscrew on and off...

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.