Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.06681%

old set of zildjian hats

Can someone tell me how to date an old set of hats, I know there's some deal with the zildjian logo stamp. like about the dots in the U shaped thing.

1958 Gretsch Kit
1966 Kent Kit
1969 Ludwig Standard Kit
1970 Rogers Power Tone Kit
1970's Ludwig Vistalite Kit
1994 Yamaha Maple Custom
2010 Yamaha Maple Custom
28 assorted snares (including some real crap)
and 1 really nice K Zildjian Istanbul
Posted on 14 years ago

From mcdrummer

Can someone tell me how to date an old set of hats, I know there's some deal with the zildjian logo stamp. like about the dots in the U shaped thing.

That's easy. Those are type II trans stamps.

How do you like that? Cymbal identification via mental telepathy.

Posted on 14 years ago

From Drumaholic

That's easy. Those are type II trans stamps.How do you like that? Cymbal identification via mental telepathy.

Are you KIDDING?!?!? Seriously! That's not helpful!

They are obviously 60s hats, although the lathing on the bottom one leads me to believe it might be a mis-matched pair from the 60s and early 50s. Could we get a close up of the stamp from the bottom hat, too, please? Also, is that a slight keyhole? Perhaps it was a crash somebody paired up with a hat...

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 14 years ago

Wow you guys are good, much better than the guys on the other drum forum, they wanted a picture, imagine that.

1958 Gretsch Kit
1966 Kent Kit
1969 Ludwig Standard Kit
1994 Yamaha Maple Custom
2010 Yamaha Maple Custom
Posted on 14 years ago
1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 14 years ago

From caddywumpus

...but only just for starters.

Posted on 14 years ago

From Drumaholic

...but only just for starters.

Yeah. This will *probably* give you your answer. The only way to know for sure would be to travel back in time, but the next closest thing would be for somebody who knows their stuff to examine your cymbals in person. Even posting your pictures on a forum will only give you results as accurate as the knowledge of the members on the forum and as clear as the pictures you post.

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 14 years ago

From caddywumpus

Yeah. This will *probably* give you your answer. The only way to know for sure would be to travel back in time, but the next closest thing would be for somebody who knows their stuff to examine your cymbals in person. Even posting your pictures on a forum will only give you results as accurate as the knowledge of the members on the forum and as clear as the pictures you post.

And it might also give you the wrong answer which is even worse than no answer. For example concerning what he calls a "50's stamp". Based on what he's got there you wouldn't have the slightest idea as to what identifying characteristics to look for, nor can you make out the important identifying features of this trademark era from the photo that he provides. In fact I doubt that's what he's even what he's actually got there. Then there are a few types that are easily mistaken for a type of another era altogether; for example late 50's vs. early 1970's. A novice could easily screw that one up thinking that he's got it right. Then there are a few others that are completely mis-identified on this site, which the guy who posted it doesn't even know himself.

Posted on 14 years ago

Ok so now I'm really confused. I tried to post pic's of mine but I only have a phone/camera and it won't show the stamp clearly so it's no use. From the site you directed me to it looks like mine could be early 70's or 50's

1958 Gretsch Kit
1966 Kent Kit
1969 Ludwig Standard Kit
1994 Yamaha Maple Custom
2010 Yamaha Maple Custom
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here