Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

old japanese hi-hats

I just bought these off ebay for $45 shipped. They has them listed as 60's or 70's Japanese stamped cymbal. Not sure if I overpaid....I'm putting these with my late 60's pearl kit. So they will kinda of match Clapping Happy2 Does anybody have any experience with old MIJ hi hats? Any ideas on brand...if there is any? I'm hoping they don't sound like crap CryBaby

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Mine have a itty bitty Japan on them and that`s it. They are good hit hard, and ring too much for light work. Eventually because of the high Copper content, the bottom will turn into a china after prolonged hard stepping.

I keep mine for bashing. Dying for thick A`s someday.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 8 years ago

They have damn near identical lathe as yours.

Posted on 8 years ago

Color too.

Posted on 8 years ago

My stamps are on the very far edges.

Posted on 8 years ago

From OddBall

Mine have a itty bitty Japan on them and that`s it. They are good hit hard, and ring too much for light work. Eventually because of the high Copper content, the bottom will turn into a china after prolonged hard stepping. I keep mine for bashing. Dying for thick A`s someday.

thanks for the info! I get them later this week.

Posted on 8 years ago

My guess is that those are more modern as in like the Asian B20 stuff that is being offered with entry level kits. They can sound great (sorta) good as stand alone crashes - very chinese type sound to them. I predict they will both be considered thin and best if used with a thicker bottom. They may be like the modern B20 stuff that is very wet and china sounding - or they just may sound like total garbage/junk. Hard to say.

At the oldest, MHO is that they are 80s at the very oldest. Typical 60s-70s MIJ cymbals did not have that type of lathing, they had more traditional, finer lathing.

It's a crapshoot whether or not they will be something with a good purpose.

IMHO, the best MIJ HH cymbals are green label Pearl CX-500s from the 80s. Red label CX-900s were supposedly Pearl's top of the line, but I disagree when I got my hands on both a pair of CX-500s and CX-900s. Point is - CX-500s are the most under-rated 'cheap' MIJ cymbals. Then, at some point, Pearl quit making cymbals altogether. The modern Pearl cymbals are not made by Pearl at all.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 8 years ago

From Drummerjohn333

My guess is that those are more modern as in like the Asian B20 stuff that is being offered with entry level kits. They can sound great (sorta) good as stand alone crashes - very chinese type sound to them. I predict they will both be considered thin and best if used with a thicker bottom. They may be like the modern B20 stuff that is very wet and china sounding - or they just may sound like total garbage/junk. Hard to say. At the oldest, MHO is that they are 80s at the very oldest. Typical 60s-70s MIJ cymbals did not have that type of lathing, they had more traditional, finer lathing. It's a crapshoot whether or not they will be something with a good purpose. IMHO, the best MIJ HH cymbals are green label Pearl CX-500s from the 80s. Red label CX-900s were supposedly Pearl's top of the line, but I disagree when I got my hands on both a pair of CX-500s and CX-900s. Point is - CX-500s are the most under-rated 'cheap' MIJ cymbals. Then, at some point, Pearl quit making cymbals altogether. The modern Pearl cymbals are not made by Pearl at all.

I should be getting them today or tomorrow...so I guess I will see what I got....fingers crossed, lol

Posted on 8 years ago

Got the cymbals...haven't played them a ton yet but they don't sound too bad. The "japan" stamp is at the outer edge. They have a "vintage" sound, so they will match my old pearl kit nicely. One thing I did have to do was modify (file down) my hihat stand's plastic tube where the bottom hi hat sits. Apparently these Japanese hi hats had smaller center holes that most other cymbals as it wouldn't go over the plastic sleeve.

Posted on 8 years ago

From OddBall

My stamps are on the very far edges.

Sounds like we have the same cymbals! Do you have any info on them...year made or who made them? The listing had them as brass...is this true? They look more like b20 or b8 than brass to me.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here