Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

Old glue VS 3M 30-NF

Ok, I have some mid-70's 3-ply Ludwigs shells with old glue residue. The old glue is very fine/thin and in random spots on the shell and it's right down into the grain. This will be by first time wrapping Mahogany. My question is this,

How much of this old glue do I have to take off? The shells are very smooth as they are - maybe just wipe down with Acetone and a light sanding?

I am going to use the 3M glue, which I've used before on other wrap jobs and this stuff really bonds hard and fast, I can't believe I would have to get every drop of the old glue off for this stuff to stick soild? Thoughts?

BTW, the new wrap is Vintage Sky Blue Pearl :-)

1976 Ludwig SBP Big Beats
1979/83 Tama Superstar Frankenkit
Modern Ludwig Black Beauty
1950's WFL 8X15 Snare
Posted on 12 years ago

It`s possible that the new glue application will cut the old dried glue and contaminate the bonding or cause bubbles durring drying. It`s a chance you take !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago

I called Precision (where I bought everything) and asked, they said as long as the surface is smooth, you can use the 3M right over the old glue.

Anyways, I used some acetone to break up the glue, scraped it, let it dry and lightly sanded it right off.

1976 Ludwig SBP Big Beats
1979/83 Tama Superstar Frankenkit
Modern Ludwig Black Beauty
1950's WFL 8X15 Snare
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here