Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.06681%

Old 11" cymbal. Need help with Info

I acquired several very old cymbals and would like to hear your opinion on this one. It's 11" and heavy. Sorry for not knowing it's weight. It appears to have grinder / orbital sander marks on the bottom side. There is no manufactures stamp on the top side but the underside of the bell has a signature. I wonder if this cymbal was modified into a hi hat cymbal. There was another one in the collection of the same exact size but quite thin in comparison. I'd love to hear your opinion.

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Is there any stamp on it? Any idea of the age? The stamp could be worn down, look carefully under good light perhaps with a magnefier. The cymbal bottom looks like a disaster to me. It appears the sander or grinder removed all the bottom lathing. The hammer marks looked at first like they're machine made to me rather than hand hammered, which would not make the cymbal that old. But since its only 11 wide perhaps the hammer marks are deceptively large looking and are hand done after all. The hole looks small considering it only 11 inches wide which would possibly confirm it as an older cymbal. The holes got bigger in the mid-late '50s I believe.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 14 years ago

That's an Ajaha made it Italy.

Posted on 14 years ago

From Drumaholic

That's an Ajaha made it Italy.

Hey Bill,

How old would it be?

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 14 years ago

Probably 1940's.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Goes w/o saying that the underside was 'customized' at a later date - probably a lame attempt to take some weight off....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

It may be the bottom of a set of hi hats. I have a pair and the bottom one is very heavy with no stamp.

1964 Gold Sparkle Round badge 20,12,14
1970 SS Badge, Blue Satin Flame 22,13,16
1962 Tangerine sparkle, Gretsch. 18, 12,14, 5x14
1960's/70's Slingerland 18,12,14 silver sparkle
194? Slingerland "Rolling Bomber" Blue/white Duco 28,13,14,7x14
1940's Radio Kings. 26,13,16 WMP finish
Gretsch Anniversary sparkle 22,13,16, 5.5x14
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here