Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Off Topic: Dealing with Arthritis

I posted this question on another forum and received zero response. Maybe someone here can help me:

I have read about some of you fellow drummers dealing with arthritis in our hands and wrists. Since there is no cure for arthritis, I am wondering what some of you have tried to mitigate its effects.

I have used a topical gel with 1% diclofenac, now available without a prescription in a product called Voltaren. This gives me very temporary relief.

I was thinking about trying a hot paraffin dip but wanted to see if anyone has had success with this therapy before I spring for the device with my hard-earned cash. A neighbor (non-drummer) uses this therapy and said it provides relief for a day or two.

Or have you discovered something else (short of powerful drugs or injections)?

Thanks.

Josh

Posted on 1 year ago

I just had my other knee "done" with meniscus surgery. The sports orthopedic said I have the beginnings of Arthritis. He said something about coming in and getting the "Chicken shot" when it starts to get worse. Other knee patients I have talked to said it works, however I'm not quite sure what it is.

1974-75 Rogers Starlighter IV New England White 13/16/22 (w/Dyna)
1964-67 Rogers Blue Glass Glitter 12/14/16/20
early Oaklawn Camco Blue Moire 12/14/20
1926 Super Ludwig 5x14
1960-ish Ludwig COB 5x14 Super Sensitive
1960-ish Ludwig COB 6.5x14 Super Sensitive
1970 Ludwig COB Cut-Badge 5x14 Supra Phonic

Looking for a Camco Aristocrat SD in Blue Moire!!
Posted on 1 year ago

I have arthritis in my knee and my doc mentioned a shot that can sooth the joint. It’s like a gel they inject. Not sure they can do this in one’s hands because they’re so complex with many joints.

Posted on 1 year ago

What a chicken shot is. It's really from a rooster.

VISCO-SUPPLEMENTATION OR “ROOSTER COMB” INJECTIONS FOR KNEE PAIN

If you are feeling chicken about having knee surgery, you may want to consider “chicken shots” into your knee joints! The technical term for this procedure is “Visco-Supplementation”, and refers to injection of a substance called Hyaluronic Acid into the knee joint. Hyaluronic acid (HA) acts like oil to lubricate your knee, and when injected either with a single injection or with the series of injections, can help to provide long-term pain relief for patients suffering with chronic arthritis–related knee pain. Historically, patients have referred to these injections as ‘chicken shots’ because in the past, HA was derived from the combs on the back of roosters’ heads. Thankfully, we have come a long way since the early days of HA therapy and most of the HA used these days is synthetic. So, all you barnyard roosters out there can relax!

It is a temporary replacement for the insufficient synovial fluid in your knee and simply serves as a thin cushion and a shock absorber between the ends of two long bones (Femur and Tibia) of the knee joint.

Posted on 2 months ago
Action Another action Something else here