Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

Nu Vader, Sound Vader, Darth Vader?

I just picked up a 22" Nu Vader Ride that had 2 rivets in it for cheap from a local music store.

If I recall correctly, these (and all the "Vaders") were made in Paiste's West German factory and were beginner or budget line cymbals. I had a Sound Vader 16" crash when I was in high school (late 80's). I remember (with my adolescent brain) that it sounded decent. I think they also had a "Rainbow Vader" line as well, which were knockoffs of the Paiste Color Sounds. Yes, the "Darth" was only a joke.

The 22" Nu Vader ride actually sounds pretty good to me. The rivets sound awesome, because the ride is dry and actually pretty soft and controlled. The Nu Vader ride certainly has a silver color to it and lathing that you can really see and feel (by rubbing your finger over it). I'm sure it was a budget cymbal, but after 20 some years of aging, I dig the sound. It's not my best sounding ride by any means, but a nice addition to the family.

Does anyone else have a "guilty pleasure" of using and liking a "cheap" cymbal??

I'll go first:

I use (on one of my kits) an 18" Sabian B8 China. It's loud, obnoxius and trash can lid sounding................but it's EXACTLY what I need out of it on that kit.

I also own a Paiste 300 20" ride that is VERY dry and crashable, almost like it has tape on it. I use it a lot on jazz gigs. I've had drummers ask what that cymbal is and that they really dug it! It always blows them away when I tell them it's a very low end, West German made Paiste!

Posted on 12 years ago

I like the sound of my Paiste Alpha hats over the old Zildjan A ones I have. I think they are 14" but I never bothered to measure any of my cymbals, or at least don't remember them if I did. The Paiste's have that scalloped edge that seems to generate a better sound when trying to barely lift the pedal to make that noise, not sure what that maneuver is called actually.

Also, on good advice, the B8 Pro China is a beast! Like you said, every sleeping neighbors WORST nightmare baby!!!

I also have an 8" Orion splash on my Slingy kit that sounds pretty awesome to me. I got the 8", 10" and 12" off CL for the price of a trip to Subway for me and the kids..........Laughing H

Good topic, and love those Custom Classics!!

Toodles

Drumhack Group Hugband2baby crawl2:DStorm Trooper

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 12 years ago

I still own a set of B8 hi hats...They are virtually indestructible and not bad sounding either in the right genre of music!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here