Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

Not too dry of a ride?

I have a Zildjian 20" ride from the 70s. I think it's just referred to as an A. Zildjian. It only has a stamp that says "Avedis Zildjian" on it.

Anywho, I love that ride but thought it might be nice to have a drier one as well, so I got a Zildjian K Custom Dry Ride. (I had tried it in a store and really like the sound.)

Once I played it with my set (and in a band context) however, it really seems too dry for my taste.

Can someone recommend another ride that would be drier than my A. Zildjian but not as dry as the K Custom?

(It doesn't necessarily have to be a Zildjian either.)

Thanks - John

Posted on 16 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I have a few suggestions:

Sabian AA Raw Ride

Sabian HH medium ride

Sabian Chester Thompson Signature Ride

Meinl Byzance Medium or Heavy Ride

Or...try an Istanbul Mel Lewis series ride (or listen to a soundfile at CymbalsOnly.com)...those are nice; I wouldn't call them "dry" but their stick tic is beautiful and very prominent and their wash beneath is very in the background.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 16 years ago

Appreciate the suggestions, Jaye.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

John

Posted on 16 years ago

I know this is an older post, but he nailed my question on the head, and he never got a Zildjian answer!

Does this mean that no Zildjian cymbal exists in this (?sabian?) category?

I've been playing a Sabian HH raw bell in a rehearsal studio, I like its' sound, but I want to try to stay all Zildjian (if I can).....vintage(if I can).....avedis(if I can). Any advice?

Thanks.

Posted on 15 years ago

Buy a Zildjian cymbal.Party

That's the smarty answer. To get a bit more depth....

Zildjian makes a LOT of dry rides. Even some rides they didn't mean to make dry are dry. Check out the K's around the mid to late 80's to the mid 90's.

Those years put out some seriously dry K's. Even the crashes had a hard time opening up. I realize this isn't vintage, but it is Zildjian and it is dry....two out of three ain't bad.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here