Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.06681%

Newby here

Hello to forum members. This is my first post. I am the owner of 1961 set of black oyster pearl Ludwigs. No serial on the badges. The set was purchased initially used (I believe a trade in) in 1963 without a matching floor tom. I purchased a 1967 black diamond pearl 18 x18 floor tom in that year (the ludwig badge serial number begins with 509xxx.

Young and stupid, I should have waited for the matching drum but figured I would trade it one day for the right style and color. I just had to have whatever was in stock for the gig you know? I never did trade. It's an old set.

The Bass drum has no way to attach the ride Tom (using latter model bars and lugs). A small piece of hardware was used to clamp the Tom to the bass drum. If anyone is interested I'll try and post a picture. I bought a snare stand for it and used it that way.

I have original high hat stand, cymbal stands, throne, and speed king pedals. I have the original bass drum front skin with the "Ludwig" script. I have the following Zild cymbals: 20", 18", 16" sizzler, 16" crash, and two 14" high hats. These are early 60's cymbals and ring like a bell on the light stuff and crash like hell on the hard stuff; non comparable to the tinny sound of Sabans Paiste or todays stuff.

A couple of things I'd like to find out. When did Ludwig make 6 ply drums? I thought these were, can I find out?

I'm not confident on the dates of manufacture of the base set; they were a trade in in 1963 so they could be a couple of years earlier. They are factory black oyster pearl so I figure 60 or 61.

I beat these things for years and now teach young kids to play.

I have been offered fairly decent money mainly from sound studios who desire the "sound" on albums. They look as old as I do now and certainly could use some cleaning, rust removed, etc. Thank you for this site which will help me do so. I would like to price them for insurance purposes.

Posted on 14 years ago

You'd be more likely to get the answers to your questions if you were to post this somewhere other than the vintage cymbal department.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="Green"]McCray - contact a moderator (TommyP) and have your thread moved to a more appropriate section - plenty of Luddy fans here ![/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Sorry everyone, as the name implies (newby), I placed the post in cymbals area. Sorry; I ask that folks simply ignore it! I'll do better next time.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here