Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

New Sabian and Zildjian stuff from NAMM 2016

You know how they say that Hollywood is out of ideas?

Well, seems that two most popular (sales wise, anyway) cymbal companies are also out of ideas.

Sabian discontinued the XS20 line, and replaced them with XSR. They look and sound good, but they basically just re-named an existing line and added a few more models, and raised the prices some too.

I always thought that XS 20's were pretty good for a "mid-priced" cymbal line, but with the higher prices, they have lost their appeal, in my opinion. For example an 18" XSR China goes for $175. An 18" AA Series China goes for $229, which is only about 22% more than the XSR. Is the AA 22% better sounding? The value is in the ear of the beholder of course, but for what you get, I'd rather spend the extra 22% and get a "Pro level" cymbal. If the difference was 30% or more, than the decision would be much easier to go with XSR (in my opinion anyway). Anyway, they just re-named their mid price line and added a few more models (and raise the prices a bit).

Zildjian has discontinued their ZHT line and replaced it with "S Series". They re-named their mid-price line, added a few new models and raised the prices a bit (sound familiar)? C'mon Zildjian, "S Series" is a really dumb and generic name for you guys. Couldn't you do better than that? It sounds like something Stagg, Saluda, or a lesser known company would do (although those two companies do have some excellent cymbals). In fact, didn't Wuhan have an "S" series years ago?

Also, they are issuing "Vintage A's" in the spring, which looking at the pictures and reading the descriptions are, to me, nothing more than a re-hashing of the Vintage A. Zildjian and CIE Co. cymbals from a few years back.

I'm always appreciative of new products on the market, and I'm glad that we all have so many choices as drummers, especially at different price points (even if so many choices can be a bit overwhelming). This year, I was just a little disappointed, because Zildjian and Sabian are not innovating like they used to. It seems like they are just trying to "keep up with each other" and re-hash old ideas.

Posted on 8 years ago

Actually read a review of the new XSR line, they did more than add a few models and change the price. They changed the cymbal formula as well, making them more closely related to the AA & AAX lines. If you look at them, even visually they look like an AA or AAX where as the XS20's didn't. I love the XS20's and am excited for the XSR's. Can't say anything with regard to what Zildjian has done, I lost my love when they changed the recipe for the A line a few years back.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

From ARCHxANGEL

Actually read a review of the new XSR line, they did more than add a few models and change the price. They changed the cymbal formula as well, making them more closely related to the AA & AAX lines. If you look at them, even visually they look like an AA or AAX where as the XS20's didn't. I love the XS20's and am excited for the XSR's. Can't say anything with regard to what Zildjian has done, I lost my love when they changed the recipe for the A line a few years back.

If Zildjian really wants to put out 'vintage A's', they need to go a step further and not apply ink logo's on them.

Posted on 8 years ago

What I find interesting about Zildjian releasing a " Vintage A " line is the amount of variables that go into making a vintage cymbal sound so good. Not that they weren't good right from the box, but the oxidation,dirt,smoke,etc... all these elements they have come into contact with have shaped how they sound today. Not to mention materials of the time, how it was hammered,lathed,etc... You can't make a vintage sound, try as they might.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here