Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

New Old Pie Plates-Anyone Seen Armand Sig.?

So last week I responded to a CL add for a 50 year old Slingerland set and a Tama set with stands and cymbals (no pictures in listing) for 100 bucks. I was too late to get the drums and the seller said a buyer was on his way at that very moment. He asked me where I was calling from and it turned out that the seller was from the other side of my town. He also asked me what my intentions were. I told him that I would've liked the drums but was also looking for some cymbals. I thought this would be the end of the story but he called me back a bit later since I was interested in cymbals and started telling me some of the cymbals that he had. Most were junk but then he said he had one Zildjian and he'd pull it from the pile before the buyer got there since the buyer was getting a heck of a deal anyway. I asked him how much and he said 10 or 15 bucks so I said ok, I'll give you 20. He said he'd be going out but he'd live in the back door. If I want it leave the money, if I don't, leave the cymbal. So the cymbal turned out to be an A. Zild. Classic Orchestral Suspended. I noticed an engraving on the bottom but didn't have my strong glasses. I figured it was a school name or something. I got home and, with better light and better glasses, was surprised to see that it said Armand Zildjian. I've never seen or heard of this. Is there anyone that can provide some insight on this signature?

So that was last week and just yesterday, the incredibly trusting and kind gentleman called me back to say he found more cymbals and wanted to give me first dibs on them. I just picked them up tonight and got them for stupid money. So I ended up getting a 20" sizzle? ride minus the rivets from at least 1963, a 20" Paiste 602 ride, a 10" K splash, a very cracked 18" A. thin (maybe) crash, 14" ZBT hats, and a mangled 10" ZXT Trashformer for 50 bucks.

Obviously the ZBT and ZXT don't mean much but the rides are very nice but with a bit of key holing.

1981 Slingerland Magnum 8pc Pewter Silk
1971 Slingerland Avante 60N Lavender Satin Flame
1976/7 Ludwig Vistalite 5pc Yellow
1980's Ludwig Rocker 5pc Black
2004 Gretsch Catalina Birch Caribbean Blue
1998 Noble & Cooley Alloy Classic 14X4.75
1922 Bower Snare
Posted on 11 years ago

My first Paiste. I think I like it. Couldn't load my pic of top view.

2 attachments
1922 Bower Snare
Posted on 11 years ago

JJ = year 2000 laser etched serial number

The etched signature appears on certain A Zildjian models. For example, most of the Armand series cymbals. I've seen it on orchestral cymbals before.

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks Zenstat. Interesting to know. I do have an Armand series med. thin crash and it doesn't have the signature but that's my only source on the subject.

I am gonna clean these because of the grime and green from sweat, drool, blood as well as stick marks from painted sticks and cheap coated heads. Is there anything I should know about cleaning the Paiste 602? Will I be removing any special coating? As I said, I don't know much about Paiste.

1922 Bower Snare
Posted on 11 years ago

Yes, I've got a pair of Armand Hats and they don't have the signature either. I suspect the signature is only on rides, or maybe just cymbals 18" and over because of size constraints. I know there is one on the 19" Beautiful Baby. I've never really checked closely.

On cleaning your 602: Yes they have a coating, and yours looks nice as if the coating is still there. I just clean mine with dishwashing detergent and water using a soft cloth. That's if I'm cleaning at all. Paiste do sell bottles of cleaner (orange bottle) and protector (blue bottle), but I haven't bothered with those. Good products but expensive. If I want to keep out grime and fingerprints and oxidization then I just put on a thin coating of paste wax (or Butchers wax or whatever it is called in your neighborhood). That works for me. Hope that's enough for the grime, sweat, drool, and blood you describe on yours. Stick marks might need a bit more persuasion.

Posted on 11 years ago

The Pie Stee cleaner in the orange bottle is wonderful stuff!

It will clean that up like brand new...

It sure seems to me that 602's like to be clean,and A.Zils like to be dirty!

Even though they are both B-20 alloy...strange,I know....

I usually only clean 602's...

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 11 years ago

From blairndrums

The Pie Stee cleaner in the orange bottle is wonderful stuff!

Actually, I do have a bottle of the orange cleaner on my shelf, which is how I know it is good. I got it for other cymbals, not my 602s (or my A.Zils). Maybe I should try it on my 602s.

From blairndrums

It sure seems to me that 602's like to be clean,and A.Zils like to be dirty! Even though they are both B-20 alloy...strange,I know....

Ditto. I was in the only drum shop in Auckland which has Paiste a few weeks ago and they had a set of shiny new ones and the Medium Ride seemed nicer than mine. The new one seemed much more flexible where mine feels more rigid, even though mine is 100g lighter. Maybe mine has more tension hammered into it. Maybe it would open up more with a clean because it does have lots of "history" on it. Same for the SE hats compared to mine...

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here