Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

New member intro and interesting 18" A. Zildjian lathing

Greetings,

This is my first post. I'm a 59 year young drummer who plays in an Instrumental Surf Rock/60s-70s Cover band. My gigging kit is a 1970 Ludwig in Sky Blue Pearl, 20", 13", 16" (also have a 12" that I rarely use). I also have a matching 1968 (except for the badge) 22x14 BD that sounds killer, even with the mashed front bearing edge as a remnant of its single-headed days. I have more snares and cymbals that I care to mention in this first post, more on that another time.

I have an 18" A. Zildjian with interesting lathing that I would like to present here. Weighing 1519g, I figured it to be from the 70s since there are no dots in the stamp. The stamp is a fairly hard impression in that the stamp area bows out slightly towards the top (but the depth of the stamp is more normal than it is deep). The lathing isn't as even as other 70s cymbals that I own or have seen elsewhere. There is a band of tighter lathing that is located in the approximate area as the stamp and the edge looks different from the middle. Could this be a 50s cymbal? I figured this to be a 70s crash based on its weight and how it plays but I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance for looking and your valued opinions!

Coming soon... pictures of a huge 50s stamp that does NOT have block lettering.

2 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

Your observations about the lathing show that you are an astute observer, and your suspicions have led you to the truth. It is indeed late 50's.

No self respecting surf drummer would ever use a 70's cymbal anyway.

Posted on 11 years ago

From Drumaholic

Your observations about the lathing show that you are an astute observer, and your suspicions have led you to the truth. It is indeed late 50's.No self respecting surf drummer would ever use a 70's cymbal anyway.

Cool1 I bought it on eBay for $75 in March this year. I kept staring at it and realized the lathing didn't look "modern". What's odd is that the hammering looks like any other A.

It plays a little heavy for my tastes so it stays in the place where my band practices. Could this have been originally sold as a ride? Yesterday's ride is today's crash.

I hear you about a surf drummer using a 70s cymbal. My giging cymbals are on the light side (20", 2097 g for example, plays like a crash/ride) even if they are from the 70s.

Thanks for your sage opinion.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here