Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Need some advice on dents in cymbals

Need some quick advice here! Although not a vintage cymbal, I have the chance to buy a used Zildjian K custom Hybrid 19" crash for $160, (they are very pricey new, so it's a great deal). The only thing is that the seller told me there is a very, very small dent on the edge, My question is should I worry about this turning into a crack? I am not a hard hitting player, and have never cracked or broken a cymbal in my life and always set them up correctly and never over tighten the wing nut.. Would it help if I turned it away from where I strike it or would the vibrations still affect it.

Should I take the deal or not? Need to know very soon before he sells it to someone else.

Thanks!

Posted on 13 years ago

[COLOR="Green"]I wouldn't be concerned w/ it becoming a crack.

Plus, if it is small (am talking small, like 1/4" or so), it won't effect sound or performance at all and it seems like a decent deal.

You just wanna make sure that around the dent it didn't end up warping the cymbal edge further....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 13 years ago

From NovaScotian Drummer

Need some quick advice here! Although not a vintage cymbal, I have the chance to buy a used Zildjian K custom Hybrid 19" crash for $160, (they are very pricey new, so it's a great deal). The only thing is that the seller told me there is a very, very small dent on the edge, My question is should I worry about this turning into a crack? I am not a hard hitting player, and have never cracked or broken a cymbal in my life and always set them up correctly and never over tighten the wing nut.. Would it help if I turned it away from where I strike it or would the vibrations still affect it. Should I take the deal or not? Need to know very soon before he sells it to someone else.Thanks!

See if he'll send you a picture of the dented area so you can judge for yourself whether its significant.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 13 years ago

i love 18'' thin crash cymbals, my resident cymbal (zildjian circa early 80s) is pretty much past it and i happened across an identical cymbal on ebay which had 'a' crack, not many like my old trooper, won it for $25,intention was to rotate crack away from me when playing but dam cracked bit just seems to gravitate back to my playing position every time, drives me nuts.

Posted on 13 years ago

Being a very, very small dent on the edge, I think you don't need to bother.

Posted on 13 years ago

From alot2008

i love 18'' thin crash cymbals, my resident cymbal (zildjian circa early 80s) is pretty much past it and i happened across an identical cymbal on ebay which had 'a' crack, not many like my old trooper, won it for $25,intention was to rotate crack away from me when playing but dam cracked bit just seems to gravitate back to my playing position every time, drives me nuts.

You mean to tell me that I'm not the only one that happens to?

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here