Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Need ID 12" A Zildjian Hats.

Hey, guys. Wondering if anyone could help shed some light on my pair of old Zildjian hi hats.

What I know:

12" Diameter, very thin (don't have a scale to weigh them)

.5" post holes

Stamp is 1 3/4" tall and 3/4" at its widest. Three dots under the U shape script.

Stamp looks closest to the 20-30's era stamp.

The small diameter and thinness is consistent with old trap kits.

Possible sock cymbals or early hi hats?

Questions:

There is a US stamped under the Zildjian stamp. What is that about?

Can anyone help me ID/date these?

What are they worth?

Thanks for any help. I've been searching this forum and Cymbalholics but can't find too much info on them. As far as I can tell they're 30's era or so. Any info you guys could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks!

4 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Stamps look like from the 30's, my guess is the U.S. is because it was government property, military maybe?

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 13 years ago

Wow! I hadn't thought of the military angle. I just did a bit of research and found out that when WWII started copper and tin were being rationed and the US Military bands specified they wanted Zildjian Cymbals. So Zildjian was contracted and rationed materials by the govt. to make cymbals for the military. And since the war started in 1939, it would be safe to say these cymbals could be of that year or possibly the early '40s.

Thanks for that insight, backbeatkeeper!

Now, any ideas as to what they are worth?

Posted on 13 years ago

First off.....DO NOT CLEAN THESE CYMBALS!

Not sure of value (It's who you know,really!)

EvilBay might say they are worth $200........you might know someone in England that would pay $300.

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks, blair. Trust me, I won't be cleaning these puppies. I'm taking them to my local vintage drum shop to see what they have to say, also I have emails in with Zildjian and Mike Dawson at Modern Drummer as well as a couple other cymbal entusiasts.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Posted on 13 years ago

I'm thinking they are made for marching band due to the half inch center holes?

Kevin
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks, Kevins. I got an email back from Zildjian the other day. Despite the stamp, they date them at the '50's as band cymbals judging by the post holes and the smooth area on top of the bell where the straps most likely went.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Posted on 13 years ago

Well, Zildjian is wrong about the dating of these cymbals as they are generally clueless when it comes to such matters.

These are actually from the early to mid 1940's period. Judging from the depth of the hammer marks I would say that these are heavies and would most likely have been made to be marching band cymbals. A photo of the back-sides would either confirm or disprove this. But if these are not extremely flexible (as in paper-thin), then they are not truly hi-hats. Again, a photo of the backs will tell the story.

Posted on 13 years ago

Where have you been, Drumaholic? I was wondering when you would chime in and provide an authoritative assessment.

Posted on 13 years ago

hey, drumaholic. you're definitely right about zildjian not knowing about those cymbals. they dated them at the '50s. they are pretty darn thin but i'll borrow my friend's camera and take some nice pics of the insides so you can see the hammering.

thanks for the input.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here