Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Need help to ID old cymbal

Hello everyone.I'm trying figure out the make of this cymbal , I've attached a photo for reference - The topside has stamp with 13E ,then "K.KA {REST IS ILLEGIBLE} "Wurlitzer" with a crescent moon and star.I appears when this was "stamp pressed" it was imperfect,due to partial lettering . Any help would be appreciated - I've seen some great references with INVALUABLE KNOWLEDGE" with the contributing members/posts on here so this is where I start,and this is where I stay...Thanks alot !! Drums4slowdriver PS OK heres the picture ,cymbal is 13'' in diameter and weighs in at a hefty 2.68lbs,has dark tone with long sustain..

1 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

Well...hard to tell a lot from the pic. In general a crescent moon and star would indicate a Paiste made cymbal. I would love to see a bit better pic. Unfortunately, that's all I can add for now.

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey thanks drum dad !!! I'll take better pics today,the jpeg file size is limited on here so i had to reduce the quality...here it is....

2 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

Hello everyone,I sold that cymbal on Ebay for $50.00 + shipping , thanks again for your help.AC

Posted on 17 years ago

That's cool. I was about to respond that the cymbal is possibly a Zilko or Zilket cymbal branded for a particular music distributor/manufacturer. These were budget lines by Paiste in the 50's and 60's. I don't have a definitive stamp for these lines but I have been looking since you provided your picture updates.

The cresent moon/star could also just designate a turkish made cymbal - maybe some small manufacturer. I examined some of my Paiste stamps from the 50's and the moon is much more curved and encircles the star more than on your cymbal. So it is quite possible that it is not a Paiste after all.

I know that doesn't help much but it's all I know. Still a mystery cymbal.

Chris.

Posted on 17 years ago

I had heard that Zilco's were actually Zildjian seconds... is this incorrect? I have a 13" Zilco which is pretty thin and I always wondered if it was a large splash, or small half of a hihat set?

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 17 years ago

Zilco with a "c" were a Zildjian cymbal...you are correct. See this thread...last post for more great details...

http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1757

Zilko with a "k" were a Paiste budget cymbal line from the 50's.

They offered a "Jazz" cymbal in 6 sizes - this was a thinner cymbal to be used as a crash/ride.

They offered a "Charleston" cymbal pair in the same 6 sizes - a thicker cymbal to be used as a hi-hat set. (As many of you know, hi-hat machines were often referred to as Charleston machines in that era.)

They also offered 6 sizes of "China" cymbals which came in pairs and had hand grips.

Zilket were a Paiste budget line from the 60's likely a replacement line for the Zilko's.

From my 1969 catalog....

"Paiste offer the beginner, advanced student and to schools, a low priced high quality cymbal in keeping with the high reputation of all Paiste products. Each cymbal is passed through the impeccable Paiste quality controls and is guaranteed to provide exceptional tone and to withstand a lifetime of heavy playing" They were only available in 14 hats, 16, 18 and 20.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here