Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Need help identifying Zildjian cymbals with wierd markings...

Hi,

I just came across these old Zildjian cymbals and was wondering:

How old they are?

What they're worth?

Are they rare?

They are REALLY heavy, but they're 13" so I'm assuming they're hi-hats.

They have wierd patterns hammered into the top, and the patterns dont match one another.

The first pic is both cymbals. The next 2 is the hexagon pattern, and the final 2 is the star pattern.

They both have the same engraving, and in the las pic the Z is till slightly visible.

I've searched the net for hours and can't find anything like them..

Please help, O great cymbal masters...

Thank you.

5 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

I believe those are 80's or so, Dyna-Beats

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 13 years ago

Cool. Does anyone have any more info cymbals?

Such as why they're mismatched?

Posted on 13 years ago

Zildjian went through a period of cute hammer experimentation. They had given up hand hammering and were needing a marketing pump. Someone got the bright idea to alter the pneumatic into cute shapes. They had several shapes that they would lay out different patterns with. It made for some "interesting" looking cymbals. A lot of these were relegated to the power rock style Z line. This was because they did not lathe them which left them fairly thick. They claimed that the different hammer prints and the different pattern layouts created a variety of sounds and this provided the drummer with excellent choices. It made for good copy and was a marketing win. Sound is subjective. I think they sound like clangy unlathed thick discs.

As far as why your set doesn't match ... it is how they paired up hats. This cute pattern with that cute pattern would equate to a particular sound.

It was the Geranimals of cymbal marketing.

What Would You Do
Posted on 13 years ago

Zildjian's marketing depatment could find a way to convince Eskimos to buy Zildjian snowballs.

Posted on 13 years ago

I think the old "Earth Ride" was made like this too, no?

Marketed to the heavy metal market to compete with RUDE?

Posted on 13 years ago

Might as well use a chopsaw blade !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here