Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Need bigger SKB hard cases? Want to trade?

I have some used SKB Roto-X hard cases in good condition that are actually too big for my drums, and I am looking to trade for smaller sizes of the same make and condition. I will send pictures of mine to any seriously interested parties.

I have these:

18” X 22” Bass drum -- Interior depth 22.0” X 25.0” Diameter

10” X 12” tom -- Interior depth 12.0” X 14.5” Diameter

11” X 13” tom -- Interior depth 13.5” X 15.25” Diameter

I need cases to fit a 14" X 22" bass, a 8" X 12" tom and a 9" X 13" tom. (all dimensions are height X diameter)

I will trade one or all. You pay shipping to me and I'll pay shipping to you.

My kit:
Ludwig Vistalite Big Beat set consisting of:
14” X 22” bass, 16” X 16” floor tom, 8” X 12” ride tom, 9” X 13” ride tom, 5” X 14” snare
Ludwig 201 Speed King bass drum pedal
Ludwig 1124 Spur-lok hit-hat with Ludwig Standard Paiste 14” cymbals (760 & 770 gr) with ching-ring
Two Ludwig Standard S-270 cymbals stands
18” Zildjian crash cymbal (1550 gr) and 20” Zildjian ride cymbal (2130 gr) with CAMCO sizzler
Gibraltar motorcycle seat-style drum throne with backrest
Posted on 12 years ago

Hey Tinman...I don't have any cases to trade, but I did buy one of these Roto-X cases off Craigslist that someone had cut down for a 14" deep bass drum. You have to be a little more careful when you pack it up to not snag the padding, but it works just fine! Just a suggestion...

- EMD
Posted on 12 years ago

I think *most* of the members here need the shallow depth cases more so than the deeper ones. We are on a VINTAGE drum forum after all. :D

Probably your best bet will be to simply ask if anyone has any SKB cases in these depths. A lot of the older guys on another forum I frequent all tried the SKB cases, but then decided to go with soft cases instead. I imagine the same experience may have happened here more than once, since many of the members are self-proclaimed "vintage drummers".

Or, cut down the cases yourself. The plastic is pretty uniform. You just need to peel off the fabric before you do so, and then stitch a seam back into it for the proper depth, and then glue it (I suggest Gorilla Glue and some clamps--I've done this more than a few times...).

Or, simply live with the cases you have, if space isn't that much of an issue. You can always throw a pillow/comforter/blanket in the cases to take up the extra room to keep the drums from bouncing around during transport. If you're just using the cases as drum set storage, you don't even have to do anything. Just make sure that if you stack these cases for any long period of time, that the drum case sizes are no larger than a 4" difference. I have a couple of SKB "stacks" where the 22" case has bowed in from the 16" case stacked on top of it, and the same with a 20" case with a 14" case directly above it. If you need to stack them, put a piece of plywood between the cases with sizable differences between them. I know this goes against the very idea of stackable, interlocking cases, but then again, they probably should have reinforced the lids on 20" and larger cases...

...dang! Okay, free association done...

singer

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here