Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

Mystery Zildjian Splash

Hello,

I came across this 8" Zildjian Splash for $20 at a Pawn Shop. I'm trying to determine what series it is (all model designations have worn off).

It has a brilliant finish, and the top is more heavily lathed than the bottom (bottom is hardly lathed at all). I also noticed that it has a very flat profile compared to any other Zildjian splashes I've seen. (Pic 4).

It has a stamped in trademark that is really super light and is just barely visible (Pic 3). The stamp does have an ID Number, which puts it 1994 or newer.

Here are my thoughts:

-It looks like A. Hammering and lathing on top, but the bottom lathing isn't as pronounced as an A, even with brilliant finish. A. Customs are barely lathed or visibly hammered, so I'd rule that out.

-I thought by the odd/flat shape of the bell and profile that it might have been cut down from a larger cymbal. The visible stamp disproves that (it would've been cut off if it started out larger). Also, the ghosting of the Zildjian stamp on the bottom is too "perfect" to be hand done. Finally, the edges are perfectly smooth and it is cut perfectly, so I think it's always been an 8".

-It looks more like B20 Bronze than anything else (doesn't look B8). I know they had an "Edge" series in the late 90's or so, but I think those were more silver in color? Also, did they make an 8" in the Edge series?

By looking at the lathing and hammering on top, I would guess that it's a brilliant finish A, but the very smooth underside and a flatter profile than on any A. I've seen makes me wonder.

It sounds very good, and it is very low pitched and fairly dark (I compared it to a few 10" s I have, and this is lower pitched than each of them). It weighs 186 grams.

Thanks,

V

4 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

Anyone want to weigh in on this? Just looking for opinions other than my own. Thanks.

Posted on 8 years ago

Gee no responses - did you seek help over at DFO?

This section of VDF is hurting. When sometimes the last comment was made like 4 days ago. DFO has a much better user friendly site (especially mobile). It has to do with the software that VDF is using.

Anyhow - wondering if you ever figured this out. I am actually searching for Zildjian Edge, which brought me to this page.

I have seen that yes they did make Edge Splashes.

I think it is a much better model than they are reputed as.

I generally prefer Paiste to Zildjian (in my older age now). I finally have learned that B8 is not all junk! I used Paiste cleaner on a brilliant Zildjian Edge and it turned out great!

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 8 years ago

My guess is it's an A series. Someone may have used "Groove Juice" or some other cymbal cleaner and that may be why it has the more brilliant finish. This 100% just a guess though

Posted on 8 years ago

I agree that it is an A Zildjian.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 8 years ago

Looks like it could be an A Zildjian "Platinum" series ?

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here