Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.06681%

Mounting a zil bell

I know this is not vintage topic but I can use some advice. I picked up a used 6" zil bell and I think I had a mis guided perception on how I thought it should sound. Initially I was thinking it would simulate a large bell on a monster bell ride, but after testing it (not live with band yet) it sounds like a dinner bell. I put in on both ways, cup up and cup down, in reverse, its louder, bit in normal ride position its weak. I notice that since its so small, the top felt on the stand if screwed on too tight "dampens" the tone of the pie. to loose and its flopping around the stand, even the under mount felt seems to absorb of the projection of the cymbal, does anyone know about how to effectively mount this thing for best results?thanks.

www.ovrevolt.com

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 14 years ago

From slingerland

I know this is not vintage topic but I can use some advice. I picked up a used 6" zil bell and I think I had a mis guided perception on how I thought it should sound. Initially I was thinking it would simulate a large bell on a monster bell ride, but after testing it (not live with band yet) it sounds like a dinner bell. I put in on both ways, cup up and cup down, in reverse, its louder, bit in normal ride position its weak. I notice that since its so small, the top felt on the stand if screwed on too tight "dampens" the tone of the pie. to loose and its flopping around the stand, even the under mount felt seems to absorb of the projection of the cymbal, does anyone know about how to effectively mount this thing for best results?thanks.www.ovrevolt.com

When I bought out a music stores cymbal Inventory, I got three of these in 6" and two in the 9" I never got them either, one trick ponies! not my cup of tea! had a devil of a time selling them!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

They make one sound... DING!! like the LP's ice bell.

Use a small diameter felt... or trim back the ones you have.. to the diameter of a HH felt... this will minimize dampening. It will always just go DING! It's more of an orchestral tool than a rocker cymbal.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here