Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

Maxitone and Camber

Well, with my first kit (bought in Oct) there was a peculiar crash, and a strange set of hats included.

The crash is an old Maxitone, which I've found nothing on via Google. There are no eBay listings or anything. The drummer that I play with regularly has repeatedly offered to buy it from me, but I don't want to sell it. All I can find is old adverts from the 60s and prior, so I'm guessing it's from about then. It was severely corroded, so I did polish it. It took it from dark and washy to bright, with a little shimmer, and less wash. I like it more, because it cuts through more.

The hats were a set of Camber hats made in roughly the 80s (if Google has shown me right) I've searched for more stuff by them, and I did find a lot. There is quite a market. A few months ago, I was browsing eBay and found a crash/ride from the first series (mid 70s?) and snatched it up for $30. It's one of the best cymbals own. It goes great with my Paiste Alpha medium crash.

But the main thing I'm here for is the Maxitone. Any light to be shed would be great.

Thanks guys!

Obligatory kit pic:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/LaBhwe7.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 11 years ago

Maxitone is a drum kit made by Pearl,..Maybe it was labled Maxitone for the matching kit !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 11 years ago

I know Japan made cymbals because I have a pair of Hats marked with an itty bitty Japan on the inside edges !i

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 11 years ago

Well, actually the kit is a "Royce" (aka Tama/Pearl before they were big) from Japan. It's a decent kit and all, and it doesn't look do bad now that I refin'd it, but that crash is still such a mystery...

Posted on 11 years ago

Maxitone is indeed a stencil brand, made in Japan, and you will probably find the word JAPAN on that cymbal somewhere. I know you already cleaned it, but I have found that these cymbals (JAPAN) clean up very nicely with Bar Keepers Friend. They will need something to protect them after the clean though, or the discoloration will slowly come back. It will clean up to be a color that is close to your Paiste (believe it or not), though it may not have the shine of the Alpha of course.

Not sure what company in Japan made that cymbal. I have a MAXITONE cymbal, or it may be one that I sold off. Can't remember at the moment.

I just wish we could identify the composition of these cymbals. For example, I just saw a video today of a Pearl Wild 500 20in ride that sounds GREAT - great clean bright ping and also a real nice washy crash - very impressive.....but, then again, not sure of the composition of those Pearl WILDS either.

Sometimes those JAPAN cymbals can make great effects cymbals. The crash cymbals, depending on the tapering/shape can sound like Chinas.

The JAPAN rides (AKA MIJ) are great, especially the 22s and bigger.

I've posted this vid a million times on here, but I might as well slap this up here again to save you time looking for such a thing. Still have the Maxitone seen here, though it is all cleaned up now. Yes, MONO - due to it being filmed with a mono camera.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA3pvQnR61c[/ame]

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 11 years ago

The stamp is on the inside of the bell. We both have the exact same stamps as well.

Mine is also warped as hell like yours. It also looks like someone took several shots at it with a pellet gun.

And I know it will return to the darker state, but there were literal spots of green and black that I wanted off, because that probably isn't the best thing to have on a cymbal. It'l probably be looking like an old penny again in a couple months, which I'm alright with.

I want to retire it, though. I think I might get an A Custom 14" crash.

Posted on 11 years ago

Here Buxom,

Thought you might appreciate this.......

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=32057&highlight=keepers

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here