Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.86639%

Major mistake (Paiste Giant Beats)

I cleaned my Paiste 24" Giant Beat (re-issue) ride with Groove Juice. DO NOT DO THIS. It ate the protective coating off the cymbal immediately. I am aware this is my fault. I should have used Paiste cleaner and read the warnings Groove Juice provides on the bottle. I called Paiste to ask if they could re-apply the coating and they said no because it is done during the production of the cymbal like when it is heated and such. The Paiste rep. did say the sound characteristics should not change and to apply Paiste cymbal protector to it.

Oh well, live and learn.

Posted on 14 years ago

Sorry to hear that stripped off the lacquer, reason number one I don't use any cymbal cleaner..

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

From backbeatkeeper

Sorry to hear that stripped off the lacquer, reason number one I don't use any cymbal cleaner..

I normally don't clean my cymbals either but being this one is fairly new I was just trying to get stick marks off and shine it up a bit. What a major mistake.

Posted on 14 years ago

Ludlover, over time the varnish wears off anyway, but yeah paiste cleaner in the orange bottle only!!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

What are you marking the price at now? I saw that you have this listed in the for sale section.

Posted on 14 years ago

From mcjnic

What are you marking the price at now? I saw that you have this listed in the for sale section.

Why is it assumed I am marking the price to something differen't?

I have removed it from the for sale section for now.

I have gotten some feedback from this forum and another forum I belong to and have been assured that what happened isn't the end of the world and that I can still get $175.00 for the cymbal. I was told that the lacquer finish will come off with playing and cleaning anyways. Whether this is true or not I would rather keep the cymbal than take a beating on it. The cymbals sound characteristics have not changed. I may have to try selling on e-bay because I understand people like their cymbals to look nice. At the same time someone might want a great sounding cymbal at a great price.

Posted on 14 years ago

That finish, if cared for, should last for quite a few years. My Paistes have kept a finish for over twenty years. For the record, I wasn't assuming anything. I was genuinely interested in these cymbals. I was checking for an updated price (if any) to get a handle on the set. Thanks anyway.

Posted on 14 years ago

Not sure if any of you have seen this before, but I discovered it a while back.

http://www.georgesdrumshop.com/GDS_store/pages.php?page=repairs#build_repair

This is an excerpt:

"Refinishing- $50 per cymbal. This is not simple polishing. This is deep cleaning and recoating of the cymbal to make it look brand new. This process removes all the original lacquer and all dirt down to the shiny original bronze which is then relacquered and buffed for a factory new finish. Print logos can not be saved in this process. Any deep scratches in the metal or deterioration of the bronze is usually not removeable. Please read George's informative article about cymbal refinishing."

Dunno if that is of interest to you guys, but I had thought about it for a couple of my pies to get a nice new look to a few of em (and I kinda dig the no printed logo look of my old Zildjians anyhow)

1964 Slingerland Sound King 13/15/22 Ebony Satin Stain (refin.)
1965 Ludwig Downbeat 13/16/20 Turquoise Sparkle (rewrap)
1967 Ludwig Club Date 13/20 w/16" downbeat FT in Blue Oyster Pearl
1979/80 Ludwig Classic 13/14/24 Wine Red
1980 Yamaha Rec. Cust. 12/13/16/22 Cherry Red

...plus an ever-growing snare farm... Luddy/Ayotte/Slinger/Pearl/etc.
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Like vintagemore said...over time the Paiste varnish wears off anyway...and IMHO, it looks like sh#t when it starts wearing away.

Personally...don't have it revarnished. I think that whole thang is just a bad idea to begin with. Why the heck varnish a bronze cymbal ? It's kinda silly, really.

Leave it be. Keep it. Sell it.

Either. Whatever.

But don't relacquer it....that's just a waste of $$$$$ reproducing what was specious to begin with........[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Like vintagemore said...over time the Paiste varnish wears off anyway...and IMHO, it looks like sh#t when it starts wearing away.Personally...don't have it revarnished. I think that whole thang is just a bad idea to begin with. Why the heck varnish a bronze cymbal ? It's kinda silly, really. Leave it be. Keep it. Sell it. Either. Whatever.But don't relacquer it....that's just a waste of $$$$$ reproducing what was specious to begin with........[/COLOR]

The reason Paiste does this to the cymbals is because of the metal composition....B8 bronze has a higher copper content and will get those green oxidation spots a lot faster if not protected by some sealer in some way. Paiste even states that their cleaner is more gentle than others, however it will remove the coating as well. This is why they also offer a sealer in a bottle as well, to reapply the coating. When buying Paiste cymbals, ALWAYS buy BOTH bottles....the cleaner and the sealer.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here