Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Mail Order Cymbals

How many of you have bought cymbals on ebay and the like without hearing or playing them? It is just such a personal thing. I am in the market for some new hats and a ride and although there are some deals to be had, I just can't plunk down a couple hundred on something that I have not listened to. And those sound files, I feel that each one sounds the same. Is it just me?

Posted on 16 years ago

I don't like the idea of buying a cymbal online. Even if there are sound files.

I will only buy vintage cymbals in person, usually at drum shows. There I can test them with my own ears to decide if it is right for me, rather than buy on on ebay and *hope* it doesn't disappoint.

Bopworks Hickory Jazz Drumsticks
http://www.youtube.com/user/mgimino
Posted on 16 years ago

I have probably bought 15 cymbals on e-bay. 3 of them were not what I wanted. One was a cymbal in fine shape.....just not the sound I was looking for. I turned around and sold it for almost twice what I paid. Two were damaged which was not disclosed by the seller. One sounded incredibly bad. The other one sounds fine but just has a bow/warp in it. So for me, 2 of 15 were a problem....really 1 of 15 was a dud.

The other 13 are fine cymbals for which I paid well below the market value. I would not hesitate to buy again on e-bay or sight unseen. For most of them, I knew the sound I was looking for and got it.

As far as sound files posted on e-bay auctions, yes, you don't know how they were recorded and it's only an indication of how the cymbal may sound under your own stick.

Cymbal Manufacturer sound files I think are very good these days. Studio recorded and consistent. I'm extremely impressed with the Paiste site....an exact match for a few of the cymbals I own. I think the other point is that the consistency of mid/high line cymbals is very good from the 3 major brands today.

Others, like UFIP for example are individually created cymbals and not consistent by design, so it's a bit more of a crap shoot.

Posted on 16 years ago

I've only bought one, didn't care for it and sold it again for about the same price (lost on the postal cost)

I would not do it again.

Posted on 16 years ago

I've bought a few, maybe 5 or so, and have never been disappointed. I even scored a cool rare set of 70s Meinl hats that sound fantastic in a jazz setting for a mere $35 with shipping. I would suggest only buying from a true drummer who knows what they have and can effectively describe the condition and sound. If the seller has 100+ random items listed on ebay that all look like they should be at a yard sale, odds are he knows jack about the cymbal and his discription and evaluation of condition is basically worthless. Though these types of sellers can yield the occasional "deal of a lifetime". If the seller has other drum gear for sale and has a good reputation on ebay you have a much better chance of getting a cymbal without issues like cracks, keyholes, dents, or warped cymbals.

As far as getting the right sound, this is much tougher, especially when dealing with vintage cymbals. Although they won't be exactly the same, generally one model is going to have a similar sound as a cymbal of the same model. You can make a logical guess as to other sound characteristics based on the weight and size of the cymbal. With newer cymbals I would suggest testing the sound at your local music store and when you find the cymbal with the sound you are looking for, try to find the same model and weight on ebay for a deal.

Posted on 16 years ago

I agree - buying cymbals sight unheard on eBay is always a gamble.

When you can see that the seller is knowledgeable and has adequately described the pie, that's always a plus. Sound files help, but can also be misleading and confusing.

Hearing, seeing, and trying a cymbal is unquestionably the best method. But are you going to find at your local music shops half of what you'll see on eBay...?

If you live close enough to visit annual drum shows, by all means take it in ! But bring your own sticks, 'cause they have their own effect on the cymbals you'll test out. And try not to be distracted by all the booms and bangs and crashes and the myriad of noises all around you.

Shopping on eBay is tough. There are no deals, usually. Even if it's a decent pie at a decent price, once the sharks and the last minute snipers get in, the price skyrockets. And, of course, it's still always a gamble. You don't know if the seller is totally up front or if he's a scammer. You don't know if it's gonna sound at all like you might be hoping.

It's a crapshoot, man. Of the many cymbals I've won, sight unheard, on eBay, only one was a bummer - and that was an old stamp K 16" crash that might only make for a pretty good bottom hi-hat, if ya like 16" hi-hats...

If it's not a lot of bread, take the gamble, and, if ya win, hope for the best.

Dig it!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here