Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.46764%

Ludwig Standard - Hairline crack in the bass drum

Hi,

I just got a 1969 Ludwig Standard drum set and there is a hairline crack on the inside of the bass drum - it's about 1" long and right where one of the legs is fitted. It's barely raised and there is no damage on the outside of the drum. Is it better to leave it alone or is there something I should do to fix it/ stop it getting worse?

Thanks.

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

I will catch much grief for even suggesting this, but I would take the spur mount out and then insert some epoxy to stop it from going further.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

From jonnistix

I will catch much grief for even suggesting this, but I would take the spur mount out and then insert some epoxy to stop it from going further.

Carpenters glue may be a better choice than epoxy.....use a surringe (sp?) to inject it into the crack after you have removed the spur, and then using blocks of wood on each side of the shell in the affected area, clamp it tight and let it sit overnight. Good as new then. :D

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks so much for the tips :) I tried (very carefully) to remove the spur mount but it didn't want to budge without a fight. I'm frightened I'll make it worse. I could inject glue along the crack but I'm not sure it would go deep enough to make any real difference. I'm tempted to leave it alone and just keep an eye on it for now. I've made a small pencil mark at the end of the crack and if I see it's getting bigger, I'll try taking out the spur mount again - unless you think that's a bad idea. Any thoughts?

Posted on 14 years ago

The spur mount is tight in the hole. Try unscrewing it....

You can thin out the glue by adding a little bit of water to help it penetrate.

I would use a CA glue (super glue). Its already like water and should penetrate just fine...

Also, put wax paper between the block and the inside of the drum to prevent the squeeze out from sticking to the block...

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 14 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks for the tips. The spur mount needed a lot of persuasion but I finally got it off and it glued the crack - good as new :)

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here