Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

LUDWIG SS snares? after market vs genuine?

I have a 70s ludwig super sensitive snare that has after market wires. they are most likely gibraltar because I think they and puresound are the only ones who make them. Out of all my ludwig snares this one is actually the "least" sensitive and only one not to have genuine ludwig snares. Im using the same heads at about the same tension on all my snares and do know how to adjust the drum properly at both ends so these are not factors. I have all various sizes and years of supraphonics even a black beauty. This is my only SS and ironically its the least sensitive of all of them.

My question is, are these after market wires crap compared to the real thing????

Im either going to get real ludwig wires or sell the drum. These wires are not cheap so I figured this would be the place to ask before I buy them. The drum doesnt sound bad by any means, by why would someone put up with the bulkiness and complexity of a super sensitve strainer if its not going to deliver?

Posted on 16 years ago

I recently acquired and restored a 70's SS. When going to get snares at the local drum shop, the owner wouldn't hear of me putting anything but the real Ludwig ones on. I dunno if they still make them, but he had a NOS set there. Thing is, I dont know enough to say if its more SS than other snare wires, but it does sound great and is very responsive. They were about 35 bucks.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here