Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

Ludwig Paiste Marveltone Hi Hat

I was recently cleaning drum stuff and discovered that my 14" Hi hats (that I bought in new 1970) are an odd match. The deal was (as I remember) that they were a matched set of Ludwig Paiste Standard. That's what the top stamp is but the bottom is "MARVELTONE". What is that all about? They look great and sound OK but I have always been thinking about getting Zildgen. Got a chance to maby swap them for an old Avedis set but I don't want to short the guy with this set if they arn't a good trade for him. He has Paiste cymbals I have Avedis Zildgen's. For that reason it would be good for us both but "Marveltone?"

No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck.
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Do they LOOK like they are matching ? or are the cymbals different-looking.

Ludwig Standards were typically nickelbronze alloy, NS12, and considered stock beginner cymbals. I find the hi-hats decent for jazz, when a sizzly sound is needed. But they often get the crap beat out of them and dent if used for heavier rock. Iyt is NOT a cymbal which can produce a lotta volume.

Marveltone is a Japanese stencil brand....so I am guessing these are two singles combined into a set of hats.

A nice used pair of Avedises are significantly better cymbals than these....most would agree.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks Jaye

I kinda figured that they wern't up to A's.

They look a lot alike except the dia. (14") the top "Paiste" is slightly smaller than the bottom "Marveltone" about 1/16" smaller all around the radius.

So what do they mean by a "matched set" and what is "Iyt"?

Is this common for a music shop to put this kind of combo together? (I am starting to feel violated).

As far as how they sound they are decent but not like a set of A's

I've had them 39 years and I can hit as hard as anyone but still no dents.

They still are vintage and look good, must be worth something.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Iyt = "it", mispelled Coffee Break2

Matched set = usually they are the same mfr, same series of cymbal. In this instance, it may be that the shop just threw two 14's together. I dunno...the Marveltone could be a stencil stamp made by Paiste...hard to tell w/o a pic...

I actually like Luddy Standards as 'hats...they are most successful as 'hats...the rides and crashes get a bit metallic sounding, but the hats have some nice projection and good kshhhhhhh......

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Like I said this set sounds OK, but I like the A's better. Anyway here are some pics for what it's worth. Just like to know more about the "Marveltone"

and thanks again Jaye.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here