Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Ludwig Keystone Badge Super Classic 13/16/22 in Blue Sparkle with Naugahyde Bags

Greetings!

Here is a very nice Keystone Badge Ludwig Super Classic. Sizes are 9" x 13", 16" x 16" & 14" x 22". The drums are in great shape. There are date stamps inside the bass drum and floor tom, but the years are smeared and tough to read. Based on the serials (and please correct me if I am wrong), the badges put them at around 1966-ish. I'll provide a summary of the entire kit and then I'll describe each drum individually.

This kit is really in fantastic shape. I would say 8.5/9 out of 10. There is no fading on the wrap at all (see photo with cymbal bracket removed). All chrome is in great shape and is shiny, with very minor pitting here and there. All shells have re-rings with "Resocoat" interiors. Rack and floor toms have original baseball bat mufflers with white felt. All three drums come with their original Naugahyde bags. The bags are in great shape with no rips or tears, and all of the zippers function perfectly. I will include the original "spark plug" wrench, that operates the nuts on the rail mount, tom bracket and cymbal bracket. No extra holes anywhere. Everything is original, with the exception of the following items (other than the heads, of course):

-Both carriage screws/washers on the rail mount (replaced with new)

-L arm on the rail mount (replaced with a DW L arm-I will include the original L arm….more below)

-Cymbal bracket on the bass drum (replaced with new-same exact bracket/hole pattern…more below)

-1 tension rod on the floor tom (replaced with new tension rod of the same exact length-original was bent)

-Cymbal sleeve/felts on the cymbal arm

I cleaned and detailed all of the drums myself, using a "no abrasives" method. I put cotton balls on the insides of all the lugs. The only "maintenance" I did was I repainted and re-lacquered the bass drum hoops. They are in good shape structurally, but were pretty rough cosmetically. They now look brand new. Inlay is in great shape and is tight. I used an oil based black paint and a satin finish poly to come as close to the original Ludwig finish as possible.

Here's the details on each drum:

9" x 13" Rack Tom: Serial number: 194348. Overall very good shape. Minor wrap lifting at the seam. This drum, along with the others, was used as a single headed drum for who knows how many years. The reso side bearing edge has a few gouges in it. Still playable as is and it tunes up well with no problems, but you'll probably want to give it some attention. I know how fussy we all are about bearing edges, especially on vintage drums, so I wanted any modifications to be left up to their new owner. No other issues. Remo Coated Ambassadors fit nicely.

16" x 16" Floor Tom: Serial number: 236445. Overall excellent shape. Minor wrap lifting at the seam. Reso side bearing edge is very good, with just a small ding here and there. Tunes up great. No other issues. Remo Coated Powerstroke 3's fit nicely. I have both of the original heads for the floor tom. The reso side is unplayed (no stick marks). I will include them with the drum.

14" x 22" Bass Drum: Serial Number: 236197. Overall excellent shape. Minor wrap lifting at one seam, the other seam is nice and tight. There are a few spots near the top of the drum (under the tom and under the cymbal) where the wrap isn't as shiny, but you have to be in the right light to see it, and I couldn't even photograph it. Still looks great. Reso side bearing edge is very good, with just a few dings here and there. Tunes up great. I have a mix of a Coated Remo Powerstroke 3 and an unbranded smooth white front head with a felt strip. Both heads fit nicely. No other issues.

I replaced the original L arm on the rail mount with a DW L-arm. I couldn't get the folded, "U shaped" rail mount piece that holds the angle and L arm in place tight enough with the original L-arm. Even when tightened all the way down, the L-arm was still loose, although the angle of the mount was secure. I solved this by using a DW L-arm, which is still 3/8" (9.5 mm) on the vertical side to accommodate the tom bracket, but is ½" (12.7 mm) on the horizontal side, so it was a much tighter fit and holds nice and secure. As an added bonus, the DW L-arm is longer both vertically and horizontally, so it offers a bit more adjustment and positioning capability then the original. I will include the original L arm. I'm not very mechanically inclined, so you may be able to get the original L-arm to work; I might have been doing something wrong. As it stands, the DW L-arm fits nice and snug with no issues.

I also replaced the original cymbal bracket on the bass drum with a brand new one. As we know, the Ludwig 1216 brackets look exactly the same now as they did then, with the same hole spacing, script logo etc. The only difference is the eyebolt. The previous owner took the eyebolt out of the original cymbal bracket, probably so it wouldn't rattle around. I had a few extra Ludwig eyebolts on hand, but on the original bracket, the eyebolts were slightly lower profile and skinnier, so I couldn't get a modern eyebolt to fit inside the original bracket. Instead of modifying the original bracket, I opted to go with a new one, that looks identical. The old and new eyebolts both use the same 5/16" threading. I will include the original bracket if you wish, but it won't have the eyebolt.

One final thing to mention is on the cymbal L-arm itself. The top tilter portion where the cymbal goes is a little loose on it's post. The tension pins holding it on need to be either tightened up or replaced. It's a minor issue though, and when the weight of the cymbal is on it, it doesn't move around or rattle. Just something to be aware of.

I know this is a long description, and I thank you for reading it. We are all very knowledgeable about vintage drums here, and I just wanted to describe everything in detail to the best of my ability. Overall, these are great drums and you will be very happy with them. I had them set up yesterday and a friend came over to check them out and play them. I listened from several places in my house and these drums sing and have "that" sound. The bass drum is killer. I was feeling it in my chest no matter where I was in the house. I had never spent much time critically listening to a vintage set of Ludwigs before. I was completely impressed at their sound. The bass drum in particular, absolutely blew me away. Fortunately for me, when I acquired these drums, it came with extra pieces that I am keeping for myself to have my own Keystone Ludwig kit. That's why I can let another drummer enjoy these beauties.

I am happy to provide many more detailed pictures or any more detailed information that you want. Just send me a PM with your email or phone number and I'll be happy to send along more photos via email or text. I am also willing to meet within a 100 mile radius of Cincinnati to deliver these beauties, which would include Dayton, Columbus, Indianapolis, Lexington and Louisville.

$1,300, plus shipping, or for a small delivery fee, as mentioned above.

Thanks,

V

5 attachments
Posted on 4 years ago

More Pictures.............

5 attachments
Posted on 4 years ago

Rack Tom.............

5 attachments
Posted on 4 years ago

Floor Tom...........

5 attachments
Posted on 4 years ago

Bass Drum...............

5 attachments
Posted on 4 years ago

Giving this a bump.

Any feedback on my pricing? I based it off sold listings on ebay and here on this forum. I believe the price to be fair, but I am open to other opinions as to "Fair market value".

Thanks,

V

Posted on 4 years ago
Action Another action Something else here