Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

Low Volume Cymbals-Why are the prices so high?

An interesting question to ponder.

These are not made of B20 alloy-either stainless steel or brass. I know they have many holes drilled in them, so they obviously take some work to produce. They are priced like "real" cymbals. At least mid-to pro level cymbals.

Here's my question:

Do you think the prices are high because they take so much machining and labor to produce, or do you think it's because they are the "new, hot item" and drummers that need them (that live in apartments etc.) have no real alternatives, other than a competitors "low volume cymbals" which are the same price, give or take?

I guess they make sense for quiet practice, but have you played on them? It's like hitting a manhole cover! They play super stiff. I haven't played them for any prolonged periods of time, but I would imagine they would make your hands hurt after a while.

Posted on 6 years ago

My Gen-16s, which I use for practice, play great. Just like normal cymbals, (but actually I can play a bit faster on the Gen-16's).

I've had no "hand issues" with them either.

As for the price, cymbal companies are in business to make a buck.......B-)

Posted on 6 years ago

I have a full set of the Zildjian LV80 cymbals and they, along with the Remo Silent Stroke heads, were a life saver for me. I work crazy hours and it was hard for me to practice without feeling like I was effecting everyone around me although no one complained. Now I can practice pretty much whenever and my bandmates have noticed a difference in my playing also as I'm able to get more practice time in. I think the cymbals play and sound good for what they are. I have not had any issues with my hands hurting but I do not really play them for long periods at a time. When I bought them there were not really any other brands available that I can recall. I actually like how quickly the hats play. No air lock or resistance with all of those holes!

I agree they are a bit pricey.

Wes

Posted on 6 years ago

I had a chance to trade a Stewart 5 piece blue onyx set for a pack of these cymbals...14" hi hats, 16" crash and 18" ride...I passed on the trade thinking these cymbals would be a hard resale in my area...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 6 years ago

I've never shopped for them, but I think I would go the route of an electronic kit before spending $200-$300 on low volume cymbals.

I've looked at used electronic kits and it seems that decent ones are $200-$400 in my area.

Posted on 6 years ago

Something I've noticed with my low volume cymbals is the tips on my sticks wear away quickly. I do not play hard so I do not have an issue with breaking sticks but man the tips were just getting chewed up. Was driving me nuts. I play sticks with small tips to begin with so didn't have a lot of tip to lose before the stick was useless. I finally realized it was the low volume cymbals with all of the little sharp edges from the holes and switched to a nylon tip and the problem is now gone.

Posted on 6 years ago

From vyacheslav

An interesting question to ponder.These are not made of B20 alloy-either stainless steel or brass. I know they have many holes drilled in them, so they obviously take some work to produce. They are priced like "real" cymbals. At least mid-to pro level cymbals.Here's my question:Do you think the prices are high because they take so much machining and labor to produce, or do you think it's because they are the "new, hot item" and drummers that need them (that live in apartments etc.) have no real alternatives, other than a competitors "low volume cymbals" which are the same price, give or take?I guess they make sense for quiet practice, but have you played on them? It's like hitting a manhole cover! They play super stiff. I haven't played them for any prolonged periods of time, but I would imagine they would make your hands hurt after a while.

The "high" price is actually relative and remember this is a specialty item. Most of the new ride cymbals that I would purchase are hand-hammered Turkish made designs that list for around $500-$800. By comparison the Zildjian low volume practice cymbals are a bargain. They look, feel, and sound like real cymbals. The fact that they use B8 material is irrelevant since the quality of their sound is not the point. When used with a set of traditional acoustic drums mounted with low volume mesh heads they are an invaluable practice tool and therefore worth the price.

My son Dan who plays professionally (Milestones here), can practice on this set any time of day or night. He'll be the first to tell you that the 14-inch hats, 18 inch crash ride, and 20 in ride were worth every penny.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here