Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

Kuldgian 8 cymbals ?

I've just picked up a cymbal branded KULDGIAN 8 (or KULDGJAN 8) - see pics. It's 13 3/4" diameter (exactly 35cm) & it weighs approx 880g. It has fairly light, regular hammering & a very low, dark tone.

I can't find any mention of the name on the web - can anyone help ??

Could it be an Italian 'Turkish fake' ? Particularly as the stamp says CONSTANOPLE ?!!

Any info much appreciated !

Posted on 11 years ago

Kuldgian 8 was actually not the fake turkish cymbal that made in italy.

It was a very rare cymbal brand from turkey,just like stambul cymbal(not to be confused with paiste stambul)

Posted on 11 years ago

From xipa4

Kuldgian 8 was actually not the fake turkish cymbal that made in italy.It was a very rare cymbal brand from turkey,just like stambul cymbal(not to be confused with paiste stambul)

And how would you possibly know that?

The hammering is Italian style; similar to what any one of half a dozen Italian manufacturers used.

Posted on 11 years ago

I know because the brand was written in turkish language

Posted on 11 years ago

Firstly I doubt that what you see scribbled there means anything in any language at all. Secondly that meaningless scribble doesn't prove anything. Many cymbals were made claiming Turkish origins and having gobble-gook writing on them that is meaningless. Most are Italian types claiming to be "Constantinople" in origin. So seeing as how the Italians were especially into making phony Turkish type cymbals, then this standard of "proof" certainly doesn't prove a thing.

Posted on 11 years ago

There is a big difference between stamping Turkish cymbal , or Turkish style or Genuine Turkish cymbal and Made in Turkey . By the time this cymbal was made and I am thinking 1930's, most countries in the western world had laws , requiring the country of origin to be marked on the item itself or the packaging. In the U.S. , spurred on by the huge trade in violins from Bohemia( German-Czech border area-over 14,000,000 instruments came out of there, in about 50 years) labelled Stradivarius, Amati, Maggini or whatever, a law was passed called the Mckinley law in 1891 subsequently called the truth in labelling law requiring all imported goods to be labelled with the country of origin. Yes, hammering style has similarities within a certain theatre of activity but it isn't the be all and end all of a mystery cymbals origin. It also has to do with the hammerer and the company.

The other thing is; yes the Italian cymbal makers have a history of marketing cymbals under a plethora of names and styles and many of their customers ( Gretsch ,notably), chose to classify and identify them as Turkish or Turkish style but I haven't ever seen one that says Made in Turkey. Usually, that means, where it is made . If someone was going to put a fraudulent country of origin on a cymbal, why would they use an unknown brand name? Wouldn't they go for the jugular and just put K.Zildjian on it and do it right?

Posted on 11 years ago

From calfskin

If someone was going to put a fraudulent country of origin on a cymbal, why would they use an unknown brand name? Wouldn't they go for the jugular and just put K.Zildjian on it and do it right?

Uhhh.....I dunno......Maybe because they don't want to get sued?

Posted on 11 years ago

I don't know but could that "8" be an "&"? Looks as though the stamp was unfinished and there was an attempt to change it. No clue what it is.

Posted on 11 years ago

Quite so. They were trying to finish it with the "&" .....then the juice ran out on the engraver. So they the the hell with it.

Posted on 11 years ago

Probably "Co." or "Sons" or something like that, similar to Zildjian.

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here