Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

kudos to "Barkeepers Friend"

Scored a 50's block stamp 22" ride that was extremely dirty. I am not a fan of dirty cymbals but I did not want to lose the patina by cleaning it. Went out on a limb and used Barkeepers Friend per instructions found here and was very pleased!!

Left the patina and still sounds great, you can see the hammer marks now!!

And, would you say 2778 grams is a fairly light 22??

Thanks to all

Posted on 12 years ago

The 2 22" that I have from the early 70s are 3116 and 3210 so sounds light to me.

Scott

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks!!!!

Posted on 12 years ago

From lucky

Scored a 50's block stamp 22" ride that was extremely dirty. I am not a fan of dirty cymbals but I did not want to lose the patina by cleaning it. Went out on a limb and used Barkeepers Friend per instructions found here and was very pleased!!Left the patina and still sounds great, you can see the hammer marks now!!And, would you say 2778 grams is a fairly light 22??Thanks to all

"Clean patina"?? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.......they're either clean or they are tarnished with "patina".....btw, "patina" in my eyes is just tarnish and dirt. I've always used twinkle copper polish on my cymbals and they come out looking great! To each is own I guess....

Posted on 12 years ago

I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder!!

I would define patina as the color of the aged metal, not the gunk and grime that is on it!! To each his own, I like the look of shiny cymbals, just not mine ; )

Posted on 12 years ago

pat·i·na 2 (ptn-, p-tn) also pa·tine (p-tn)

n.

1. A thin greenish layer, usually basic copper sulfate, that forms on copper or copper alloys, such as bronze, as a result of corrosion.

2. The sheen on any surface, produced by age and use.

3. A change in appearance produced by long-standing behavior, practice, or use: a face etched with a patina of fine lines and tiny wrinkles.

Posted on 12 years ago

From lucky

I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder!!I would define patina as the color of the aged metal, not the gunk and grime that is on it!! To each his own, I like the look of shiny cymbals, just not mine ; )

From lucky

pat·i·na 2 (ptn-, p-tn) also pa·tine (p-tn)n.1. A thin greenish layer, usually basic copper sulfate, that forms on copper or copper alloys, such as bronze, as a result of corrosion.2. The sheen on any surface, produced by age and use.3. A change in appearance produced by long-standing behavior, practice, or use: a face etched with a patina of fine lines and tiny wrinkles.

Well...technically that "gunk and grime" is tarnish, or "corrosion" if you will....so your "patina" is one and the same as the definition of "gunk & grime" in this case.

Its great that that's how you like your cymbals to look. Me personally, I like them to shine like new whenever possible. To each is own, right?

I just found it funny that you went to the lengths to "clean" them, yet they look the same when you are done. That's kind of like waxing your car BEFORE you wash it.....just doesn't make sense to me thats all. I mean, if you're gonna go to all that trouble, why not make them look their best and shine like new? Thats all I'm saying.....

Posted on 12 years ago

Well I wish I had a before pic because it does not look the same as it did!

I guess I didn't polish it to make it look like new, looks like it has a warm luster,

which would be my interpretation of patina!

Posted on 12 years ago

I'm with you, Lucky. I like my cymbals to looked aged, but it doesn't mean that they have to have gunk stuck on them. Maybe you have gunk that, when cleaned off, leaves behind discoloration on the cymbal. That could be called patina, right? Hope you dig the cymbal and play the cr@p out of it.

- EMD
Posted on 12 years ago

Clean cymbal patina. This cymbal is clean (free from gunk and grime) yet has a nicely aged, rich brown color to it.

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/ryanculberson/110504_014.jpg[/IMG]

Dirty cymbal patina. This cymbal is wicked nasty, with lots of green filth and stanky grime built up on it.

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/ryanculberson/DSCF0029-1.jpg[/IMG]

I'm trackin' with ya, lucky.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here