Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

Keyholing Question

I did some pawn shop surfing this weekend and found a very nice sounding vintage Zildjian ride. The only problem was a keyhole about the diameter of the stand metal shaft (both in width and depth). How does that affect the cymbal reliability? I'm willing to part with the $140 asking price on the sound alone, but I don't want to buy a grenade.

Thanks!

Chris Of Maine
Posted on 8 years ago

As long as you like the sound, that's what matters. I think as long as you use the proper care with your cymbals it should be fine. A crack would be another story. But I've had a few rides and crashes with key holing. Actually loved the way those cymbals sounded.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

I sometimes wonder whether the keyhole is the sign of a much played and loved cymbal. Or it could just be neglected. Keyholes don't bother me and I don't think they affect the sound. Generally they will be cheaper to buy, too

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 8 years ago

I buy vintage Zildjians all the time with keyhole issues. It doesn't bother me if the cymbals sounds good. When it comes to resale,maybe a different story. Hairline cracks around the center hole is what I look for.

Posted on 8 years ago

Buy it, don't worry about it. Offer $100 because of key-holing, then buy a grombal:

http://www.thegrombal.com/gb_info.htm

I use these. One of my cymbals has extensive spidering from the center hole, it has not expanded since I put on a grombal.

Posted on 8 years ago

If the key hole width is less than the diameter of the sacrificial nylon tube that is usually covering the threads wing nut threads at the top of the stand or cymbal arm, you should be OK. If it is really large though, it could cause the cymbal to get hung up and choke.

The key hole is the result of not having that sacrificial piece in place and allowing the threads to slowly break away tiny pieces of the weaker cymbal metals.

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for the confidence guys, hopefully I'll report back soon with a good score.

Chris Of Maine
Posted on 8 years ago

So I revisited the pawn shop with my glasses this time LOL. The cymbal is a '68-'70 Zilco non-hammered turned cymbal from Canada. I also had the price wrong, they want $99 for it. Still thinking about it, I still like the dark sound it has. Maybe I walk back in there with an old Fostex four track I have laying around and $50.

Chris Of Maine
Posted on 8 years ago

Bring in a ride you are familiar to a/b the cymbal.

If the price is right, I wouldn't overly worry about keyholing. It will affect the resale.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here