Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

keyhoe cycmbal?

So I picked up a 16 inch zildjan crash a while back. The mount hole has a notch in it like a hey hole. I thoroughly despise this thing, but I AM curious of it. Like why would they do this? Any one heard of this?

Posted on 15 years ago

It's nothing they did...and yet it's something they did.

It naturally occurs when you mount a cymbal to a stand that does not have a protective post cover (i.e. rubber or plastic deal thang the covers the metal post). If you put a metal cymbal on a metal post, you get metal to metal contact. They rub together. As you play, you increase the contact and increase the friction. Eventually, the harder of the metals (the post) actualy wears away the softer of the metals (the cymbal). That is what you are seeing.

So...

It's not something they did on purpose, but by not protecting their cymbal, it's something they did to the cymbal.

I don't believe there is anything you can really do to correct it. I've seen some heavy hitters put some goofy grommet thingy on the hole, but that is really not a wise solution.

Hope this helps.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here