Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.06889%

Kerope series

I was at the Zildjian booth checking them out and I didn't think much of them. It does seem that as the sizes got smaller, they tended to sound better to my ears. One 19" that they had set-up right in the middle of their space was the best. I think based on how prominently it was displayed, that they knew it was their best one too.

There's no reason why they all should have made to be so monolithic, because the old K's certainly weren't like that. I think they should have made at least some of them using this one as a template.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3niImDkopVA&feature=youtu.be"]22" Zildjian Prototype 2555 grams - YouTube[/ame]

I think this one sounds better than any of the 22's that I heard at the show. MUCH BETTER.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted on 10 years ago

It sounds better to me after the rivet is added and it get`s funny when the stick flies !i

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 10 years ago

From OddBall

It sounds better to me after the rivet is added and it get`s funny when the stick flies !i

Loosing your stick like that is not that not necessarily a bad thing. An old drummer once said that its a good sign because it means that you're "loose".

Posted on 10 years ago

I think the way they did the "aging" around the bell makes them look some kind of weird danish or something. I tried out a few in a music store the other day and they weren't displeasing but didn't really blow my mind either. I had my heart set on a 16" HHX studio crash in the back of my mind. That series seems to work sonically well with my vintage cymbals.

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 10 years ago

From Drumaholic

I was at the Zildjian booth checking them out and I didn't think much of them. It does seem that as the sizes got smaller, they tended to sound better to my ears. One 19" that they had set-up right in the middle of their space was the best. I think based on how prominently it was displayed, that they knew it was their best one too.There's no reason why they all should have made to be so monolithic, because the old K's certainly weren't like that. I think they should have made at least some of them using this one as a template. 22" Zildjian Prototype 2555 grams - YouTubeI think this one sounds better than any of the 22's that I heard at the show. MUCH BETTER.______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We have the 22", the 20", the 19" and the 15" hats, all from the Sam Ash stores in Edison and Springfield NJ.. The most recent purchase, the 19" was a 25th birthday gift for my son. The 19" and 20" Keropes are incredible. While the 22" is also an extremely fine cymbal it's not quite as magiical as the other two. Dan and I had the opportunity to choose between two different 22"'s and the one we chose was, to our ears, much better than the other one. Ours has a bit less wash, and a better and more woody stick. Like with Old K's, I think each copy will sound a bit different or maybe even very different. The 20" and 19" we chose were also quite different from the second copy of each that we heard. The 18" copies, while nice were not nearly as exciting.

One thing we have discovered with these cymbals is that they are more sensitive to where they are being played, and which sticks are used, than any other cymbals we have owned. They are even sensitive to the stand they are played on. While mounted on a DW 7000 series stand set up as a boom stand we heard what sounded like a disturbing hum in the wash of the 22". We considered returning the cymbal until we realized the 20" also sounded less than exciting on that same stand. Mind you the stand and boom were tight and rigid. We did a blind experiment replacing the DW stand with a straight Gibraltar stand and another DW 7000 boom stand in the same location. Sight unseen we did the experiment more than 15 times to be sure, and each time my blindfolded son could tell which were the DW booms and which was the Gibraltar. I could easily hear the difference as well, although I could see which stand was which. It turned out the solid DW boom arm was either vibrating in sympathy to the 22 Kerope and to a lesser degree the 20" Kerope, or reflecting sound back to the cymbal, causing the hum. I think there was a thread on this subject sometime back. We also noticed these cymbals seemed very sensitive to the location in the room in which they are played. In our case playing the 22", 20" or 19" too close to a steel floor to ceiling support post in our basement studio negatively affected it's sound.

The first time we heard the Keropes in the cymbal room at Sam Ash we were a bit disappointed by the sound but saw potential. We bought them knowing there was a 30 day return period and we were glad we did. At home and on gigs in a musical context they sounded completely different than they had in the glass enclosed cymbal room with a 150 other cymbals. I'm suggesting that the same 22"s you disliked might have been more pleasing in a different venue, or setup on a drum kit in a more musical context. I wonder if you would have been as impressed with the prototype if you had heard it along side the others in the same venue.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 10 years ago

From funkypoodle

I think the way they did the "aging" around the bell makes them look some kind of weird danish or something. I tried out a few in a music store the other day and they weren't displeasing but didn't really blow my mind either. I had my heart set on a 16" HHX studio crash in the back of my mind. That series seems to work sonically well with my vintage cymbals.

If you favor the sound of an 16" HHX I can see why the Keropes did not blow you mind. They are a completely different animal. As for us, the Keropes provide everything we would expect from vintage K's They work really well in a variety of contexts except for heavy hitting and very loud rock.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 10 years ago

I like em :) It's a nice, dark wash. Even on the bell you get that wash. They're not old Ks, but I'm sure if I owned one I wouldn't be complaining too much. :)

Posted on 10 years ago

From Chromeo

I like em :) It's a nice, dark wash. Even on the bell you get that wash. They're not old Ks, but I'm sure if I owned one I wouldn't be complaining too much. :)

We have 2 x 20" old K's. The 20" Kerope sounds better than both of them. The Keropes are trashy and dark. The wash is perfect with very woody well defined sticking. The bell is the closest to an old K bell that I've ever heard on a new cymbal. There are old K's that sound just as good or even better than the Keropes, but these are just so close to being dead ringers for the real thing. For less than the price of a really good 22" K Istanbul we got really great sounding set of 22", 20", 19" and 15" hates. My son is very happy.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 10 years ago

Here's one that I like. Its better than any of the 22's that I heard at the show, and if this is anything like what you got, then I can understand why you're satisfied.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=351P2bl31So#t=56"]Zildjian 22" Kerope Ride Cymbal (KR22R-1050514N) - YouTube[/ame]

Like with any other cymbals, you've got to listen to a bunch to find the right one.

Posted on 10 years ago

From Drumaholic

Here's one that I like. Its better than any of the 22's that I heard at the show, and if this is anything like what you got, then I can understand why you're satisfied. Zildjian 22" Kerope Ride Cymbal (KR22R-1050514N) - YouTubeLike with any other cymbals, you've got to listen to a bunch to find the right one.

Dan and I listened to this recording a few times and then went to play our copy. While individual taste always comes in to play, we both preferred the sound of our 22" Kerope over the one is this clip. While it may be a result of the recording process, we both felt our copy had better stick definition and a more pleasing (to us) wash.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here