Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

Kent Restoration

I recently acquired these 3 Kent gold sparkle drums from a friend. They are dated December 15-19, 1966.

A few questions/concerns:

1. Are the flanged hoops on the bass drum original?

2. What would the original throw off look like for the snare? Anyone have one?

3. The 13" tom has some major issues with the top edge being "caved in." Seems like it was under extreme tension for a long, long, time. Is this salvageable?

4. As you can see from the pics, the 13 and the snare are whacky out of round. What is to be done about this?

5. All edges need to be re-cut. Is it worth it?

Guess I just don't know where to start with these. Any ideas?

Thanks!

4 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

The drums are very badly out of round. Even re-rings won't save those. If you manage to get heads on them, use them as a beater kit. I wouldn't spend any money on them though. Re-cutting the bearing edges won't serve any purpose either. They're just too far gone. Wavy gravy.

Sorry. Just what I see...

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

Iam sorry but i see is some parts drums..To much wrong with the drums to put money in them to restore.How is the bass drum? Is it like the snare and tom?....Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

Bass drum is solid and round. As whacked as the snare seems, heads fit nicely, so I may have Willie over at Steve Maxwell's cut the edges on both those drums.

Is it worth finding an original throw? Do they function well enough to use?

...on the look out for a couple of Kent gold sparkle toms.

Posted on 12 years ago

I think your best bet is also to use the hardware on this kit. Find a cheap Kent kit that is missing things on it and you will be all set. I wouldn't drop ANY money into these. Maybe you can find a artist or you can do something cool with the shells.

Posted on 12 years ago

From ec_curtis

I think your best bet is also to use the hardware on this kit. Find a cheap Kent kit that is missing things on it and you will be all set. I wouldn't drop ANY money into these. Maybe you can find a artist or you can do something cool with the shells.

Yep. That sounds like a much better plan.

Thanks.

Posted on 12 years ago

There's a guy on DFO giving away a Kent Bass drum shell. He might have some extra shells to part with too. He's in the Hudson Valley area upstate NY. Page 2 in the FS section there.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here