Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

K zildjian rare print?

I was cleaning my 14" K hi hats today, and noticed something I had never seen before.

Printed on the bottom side of the top hi hat(the lighter one in weight)

I saw this print:

14"/35 1/2 cm

then the center hole, then below the center hole:

K Zildjian & Co.

ISTANBUL

THE ORIGINAL AND (ONLY)

AUTHENTIC TURKISH (CYMBALS)

The words that are in parenthesis I am guessing at. Everything else is fairly clear if viewed in the correct light.

I can post a picture if needed, but I don't think anything will come out becasue the print is so light.

I have always thought these cymbals to be 50's/60's, but that is just a guess.

If anyone has any insight to this print please let me know! I never knew there was ANY print on older K zildjians.

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 17 years ago

Hey PK drums,

I don't believe K Zildjian ink stamped any of their cymbals. The ink stamps were added by Gretsch once they reached the US. I have a K Zildjian ride that has a similar ink stamp. I'll see if I can take a picture later this week of it and post it.

Its always fun to notice something on something you've played and used hundreds of times.

Posted on 17 years ago

Something like this?:

[img]http://i5.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/91/64/edd3_3.JPG[/img]

Posted on 17 years ago

Duncan,

That is exactly what I had't had a chance to take a picture of and post.

Thanks!

Posted on 17 years ago

Well it's an awesome 24"Ride on the bay ride now....wish i had the money to buy it.....well just invested the money in some 16"K hats...awesome to.

Posted on 17 years ago

That's pretty much exactly what my cymbal has, except it looks like your print is much darker. (Time has almost made mine invisable). Does anyone have any insight to what time frame these cymbals might be from...'50's, '60's???

Thanks again!

PK

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

That's pretty much exactly what my cymbal has, except it looks like your print is much darker. (Time has almost made mine invisable). Does anyone have any insight to what time frame these cymbals might be from...'50's, '60's??? Thanks again!PK

don't know if you have a pic from the stamps for us? but i think more of

40's/50's.

Posted on 17 years ago

My intermediate stamp 20" K has the same stamp on back. Xaviar, are you saying this was stamped by Gretsch in the states??? How do you know that?

I just assumed it was another ink stamp that was stamped on at the factory, but I suppose that it being in the King's English, you could be right.

Posted on 17 years ago

I'm not sure exactly where I picked up that piece of knowledge. It may have been the cymbal book by Pinksterboer or over at cymbalholic.com.

I'll ask a very knowledgable source and get back to everyone with a definite answer.

Posted on 17 years ago

I just checked with a great guy over at cymbalholic and was told that all of the ink was put on at the factory. There was some rumors that this was not the case but it seems that all of the ink was put on at the factory in Turkey.

The Gretsch company did however stamp some of the earlier old Ks with a big letter G. That was to signify distribution by Gretsch in the states and was added by Gretsch once the cymbals got to Brooklyn.

Sorry for the confusion guys.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here