Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

K Zildjian Old Stamp - 18.5 sizzle $$ ?

I bought this in 2009 and I posted it here and asked what the value of it was at that time and I think it was $800-$900.

I could try to look the thread up but I thought I'd try here first.

I was also told at that time the cymbal would appreciate around 15% per year.

What would the value be now.......in this economy. I can do the math - that's easy enough, but realistically is this cymbal worth $1K or more??

It is the cymbal I like best of all I have so far.

These photos were taken in Sept 2009 just as I received the cymbal.

The rivets were missing and I replaced them with brass rivets that Zildjian gave me.........compliments for bringing the cymbal back to live as a sizzle. That was very nice of them.

Posted on 11 years ago

From Kona

I bought this in 2009 and I posted it here and asked what the value of it was at that time and I think it was $800-$900.I could try to look the thread up but I thought I'd try here first.I was also told at that time the cymbal would appreciate around 15% per year. What would the value be now.......in this economy. I can do the math - that's easy enough, but realistically is this cymbal worth $1K or more??It is the cymbal I like best of all I have so far.These photos were taken in Sept 2009 just as I received the cymbal.The rivets were missing and I replaced them with brass rivets that Zildjian gave me.........compliments for bringing the cymbal back to live as a sizzle. That was very nice of them.

I would like to see a better front side photo of this cymbal before making an appraisal. I see a lot of hammer marks that look like they could be somebody's home-spun attempt at cymbal modification.

Posted on 11 years ago

[QUOTE=Kona;220330] What would the value be now.......in this economy. is this cymbal worth $1K or more??

QUOTE]

Do an Ebay search of completed auctions for 18" old Ks.

Heres one that only got $499.00 and the seller was asking $1,200.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-K-Zildjian-Istanbul-Crash-Ride-Cymbal-Old-Stamp-Sound-File-/290815405382?pt=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item43b5f2ed46&nma=true&si=O3U4PF6BoLsUwRIs192%2BGWrgWlY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I just traded for an 18" old stamp type IIa (1408 grams) that was priced at $975.00 by Steve Maxwell.

Never play it the same way once.
Posted on 11 years ago

Heres one that only got $499.00 and the seller was asking $1,200.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-K-Zildjia...p2047675.l2557

That cymbal used to be mine. Steve Maxwell got $900 for me when they sold it.

But notice that this auction did not end because it reached ran its course and the reserve wasn't met. It ended because "item is no longer for sale". Therefore this not a valid comparable.

Posted on 11 years ago

From Drumaholic

...this not a valid comparable.

Do you know if it sold? And if so, for how much? Coffee Break2

Good eye on Kona's cymbal, those hammer marks look interesting.

Never play it the same way once.
Posted on 11 years ago

The OP K has an unnatural look to the hammering. The rivet holes appear to be aftermarket & too close to the edge.

Posted on 11 years ago

I assume that someone made the seller a cash offer, and that why it ended. But I have no idea what it might have gone for.

Posted on 11 years ago

From Drumaholic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-K-Zildjia...p2047675.l2557That cymbal used to be mine. Steve Maxwell got $900 for me when they sold it. But notice that this auction did not end because it reached ran its course and the reserve wasn't met. It ended because "item is no longer for sale". Therefore this not a valid comparable.

And so now guess what? Walter just got into the act and it's back again.

.....but at a much higher price than its ever been before, of course.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-STAMP-c-LATE-1940s-THIN-JAZZ-RIDE-OF-THE-FIRST-ORDER-ISTANBUL-K-ZILDJIAN-/290823973493?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b675aa75

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks everyone here. Sorry, I've been busy.........in another nerve wracking auction....that's another story = not for this Cymbal Forum.

I can tell you only that my cymbal was bought by the late Gary Pearse - the original owner of my late 50's Gretsch kit. He bought the kit new and the cymbals I can only guess came to me with the kit or were bought after or before he bought the kit. He died in 2005 and his daughter sold the drums/hardware and cymbals to me in Sept 2009 (listed in CL - locally). Gary lived in Nanaimo most of his entire life - I moved to Nanaimo BC in 89 but never did meet Gary Pearse - only met his daughter through the drum sales transaction. She told me at that time everything with the kit was only used by her dad for a short while then stored. He switched to guitar shortly after buying the drums and the drums remained in the family until his daughter Kerry sold them to me. I don't know enough about the cymbal to say one way or another if it was altered. The rivets were missing when I got it. I contacted Zildjian and they 'gave' me a package of nice brass rivets to put on the cymbal. I showed them photos of the cymbal at the time.....including the stamp....and they were very impressed with the cymbal and sent me the rivets free of charge with a nice note.

Posted on 11 years ago

some more pix

I don't think this cymbal was fooled with because from what I understand, talking to the late owners daughter, the cymbal was part of her dad's kit and he really did not play it much. For all I know the original owner, Gary Pearse, may have seen the cymbal, liked it, and bought it secondhand or off a friend in 1960 or later. Gary bought the drums new in a local music store here in Nanaimo B.C. Canada in 1960. The drums are mostly 3ply (ft is 6) and came from the Factory as a complete kit.....mixed plys. Kits going out the door with mixed plys at that time of transition were not uncommon. Gretsch used what they had to fill orders when they switched from 3 to 6ply in 58.

The cymbal itself is older than 1960 that I'm pretty sure of.

Comments?

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here