Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

K-Z combination

Anybody ever hear the 13"K top and Z or Dyno beat bottom hats? Have a set of Dyno beats that I never use and was thinking about getting a K for the top. Is it geared towards a metal player?

Thanks

Posted on 15 years ago

Metal? No. These are more general purpose hats. They are great for pop, jazz, mellower rock, ... stuff like that. It's actually in the Zildjian catalogue (or was last I checked) as a matched pairing. 13 K/Z are a bit better than the 14 K/Z hats. They are crisper and more dynamic. The 14's are a bit more subdued. I've owned both sizes and played on gobs more. They were fairly common back in the day. You won't go wrong with that matching idea of yours. You will need to listen to and test several cymbals to find the right match for your ears.

Posted on 15 years ago

Those dyno beats are real heavy and bright. Never use them, too sharp for me. I have been looking into some new hats, was thinking 13" k's and saw those. I will have to check out that combination. Thanks

Posted on 15 years ago

Even when I played hard heavy music I didn't like those "heavy" hats. I tried the Dyno's, and the Rock sizes from the big three. Didn't like any of them, with one exception. The Paiste 14 inch Sound Formula Heavy hats were some of the best I ever played for rock music. They were a bit thinner than most heavy hats and had an unbelievable crisp responsiveness. I miss those hats. All the rest were sucky.

The 13 K/Z hats were pretty sweet for lighter music. They were stiff, though. So, I searched out better hats. I finally got Sabian to make me a set of 14 HH prototype hats that are the best. They do everything I need them to do. I've also got a set of old 15 Paiste hats that are so sweet. Those are the only hats I use. I am looking for a real thin pairing for soft soft trio work, but I'm in no hurry.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]The Z bottom would be OK as a bottom....I do agree that the K top in the instance of what you wanna use it for, Lucky, wouldn't be an optimal choice.

I also think the K/Z combo may have been a marketing coup-de-etat...but it was never really a very logical pairing.

I'd just go with a Sabian AA or a regular ol' Avedis on top, with one of your dyno's on the bottom....if what you are looking for is just ONE cymbal to match up with one you already have.

Paistes make some good heavies, too...but they are B15 alloy, usually...so they will be a little different sounding than an Avedis or AA of HH, which are B20's...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Jaye, Thanks. I got these dyno's from some dude that lost some 60's 15" zildjians of mine that he borrowed for his studio. He gave me a pile of cymbals for his f$#&up. I thought maybe I could salvage these and just get a 13" k for the top but it sounds like I wouldn't like the combo. I think I will just dump them and get something new. Thanks again

Posted on 15 years ago

Wait wait wait! The K/Z combo in the 13 inch size is seriously cool. I've owned several and liked them. It really comes down to the style (type) of music you play. If you do modern jazz, pop, softer rock, etc. then you would dig this combo. You need to do the shopping and pick the 'right' top to match the dyno/z you have. Don't be afraid to use the 'top' dyno/z for the bottom of the pairing. It will most likely be the better of the two for that combo. They really do sound cool. You can match up crashes, splashes, hats, etc. to come up with a 'new' set of hats. It all comes down to your ear. Any two cymbals can be mounted and hit together. But, there is something very cool about a dark top with a bright bottom that just says, "oooooooo". That's the standard of most hats. The K/Z combo makes good use of that. Do yourself a favor and check out a handful of 13 K tops with your two cymbals before you sweet them away, and let your ears decide. If you like 'em, go with it. If you don't, you've still gained an education in cymbal matching. Win/Win.

Posted on 15 years ago

Ok, I will give it a shot. There was a guy selling a 13" K on C.L. by me, maybe I will see if he still has it. And there is a great pro drum shop in my area that would probably have the biggest selection of cymbals.

Thanks

Posted on 15 years ago

From my experience with the KZ set up, they would not have a typical sound or feel for metal style drumming. You cant really push a set of KZ's around like you need to for metal. They are more of a Dave Weckel, modern jazz hi-hat.

I once brought mine to the studio for a hip-hop/rock session and was quickly told to go back to my vintage A's!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here