Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

K Splash?

What do you guys think of this listing?

The stamp looks good to me but what do I know.

It looks like it's been polished.

Is this for real?

Constantinople K on Ebay

:cool:

www.macdrums.com
Posted on 11 years ago

All of his cymbals have the same look. There's not necessarily anything wrong w/ cleaning a cymbal , if one could know what technique was used. However, I find the P T Barnum approach tends to sabotage credibility, especially at this kind of fantasy price.

Posted on 11 years ago

That's what I was thinking.

Rare?

Maybe so.

Worth a $1000.00?

Not to me. LoLoLoLo

www.macdrums.com
Posted on 11 years ago

Some of the old K (Constantinople & Istanbul) rides provide a voice that could not be had in a Zildjian A.

But as far as Splashes go, I feel that the A splashes always gave a great sound, no matter what era, & they can be found for peanuts. (of course the cymbal in question is beautiful & intact, & probably sounds good).

Posted on 11 years ago

Is this not the same seller as joycespride? The problem with all of the cymbals listed under both sellers is as stated: the style and it does seem that the cymbals have been mechanically buffed. The seller does know what is likely remarketable and combs ebay for good buys----snipes them , buffs them and then lists their denuded carcasses ad nauseum until they either sell or evaporate.

I am on record as being in favour of removing grime from cymbals but not on a buffing wheel.

this one is pretty uncommon but it is a splash ---950.00? in my neck of the woods the term is : seems a little silvery to me

Posted on 11 years ago

Just curious. How can it be determined that a buffing wheel was used? I have used barkeepers friend on a cymbal, and it shined up like new. And, if a powered buffer, with a terry cloth, foam or micro-fiber was used, how can that hurt anything anyways?

I am plenty on the record as saying patina=lazy, and think cymbals were meant to be shiny as they were sold that way, so I wanted to hear how that guy polishing that cymbal could hurt it in some way????

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 11 years ago

You are right; it is difficult to tell but there are some clues I am using and it is based on looking at a bunch of other cymbals offered by the same person,too.

I used to know someone who went to an antique market regularly . I helped him load and unload quite a few times. There was another dealer there , who dealt heavily in brass stuff----all buffed . I looked at a lot of it. It all looked artificially cleaned.

There is a unique polished sheen to buffed brass or bronze and an artificial colour, because the oxidation products and sulphated products to some degree get smeared into the metal. They aren't really being cleaned per se, they are just being power wiped.

Buffing happens easily on the metal in proximity to the wheel and with increasing difficulty, on the metal in grooves and depressed areas. Chemicals used for cleaning , penetrate depressed areas, such as stamps and deep tonal grooves and at the very least alter the build up of dirt etc. in a gradual fluid sort of way, rather than there being an immediate separation between clean and filthy.

Based on the odd colouration( grey- bronze, or blackened silver ,in the case of nickel silver cymbals ) of most of the cymbals being offered by this seller , the sort of even marred sheen on them and the dramatic clean/dirty margins around stamps AND deeper tonal grooves( very telling), I would say they have been buffed. Of course, I'm not 100% sure but , if they have been, to my mind , that is a completely other method of cleaning cymbals , than barkeeper's friend, or even groove juice . Tonal grooves get slightly rounded ---there is some potential removal of material and it is damaging , economically degrading to a cymbal and disrespectful to the artisan who made it.. Maybe a little lacquer on there would help keep the shine, eh(huh)?

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here