Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

Issues with 60s Paiste Formula 602 Cymbals?

Just wondering if any of you have experienced any issues with 60s-era Paiste Formula 602 cymbals? It seems that several that I've owned have had hairline fractures in the area of the cymbal where the Paiste stamp has been pressed into the metal.

I've talked to several individuals who either play or collect Paiste cymbals from this era and they've mentioned that they believe there might have been a quality control problem at the production facility during that time, causing the cracks or fractures.

Have any of you seen the same or similar issues with yours? I'm just trying to determine how widespread it might have been.

Posted on 12 years ago

I have quite a few cracked Paiste 602's that I've picked up at swapmeets etc., I've also heard from some drummers of the time who have cracked 602's, that there is nothing really wrong them , but that they were vulnerable to the hard hitting drumming of the time, & also fell easy prey to poor technique of striking the cymbal. They were considered great sounding cymbals, but just not as strong as Zildjians.

Posted on 12 years ago

I have a old set of Ludwig Paiste 15" hi hats. I think these were the entry level cymbals. Not sure but remember reading something like that I think. Anyway my son cracked the top one some 15 years ago from the edge in maybe 1/2" then drilled a hole. Crack spread past the hole and guess he missed the true end of the crack. Fast forward years later I looked at them with a lupe and marked 2 points where the fractures ended. The one crack spread into 2. Drilled a hole at each and the metal melted slightly around the drilled holes. This seems to have sealed them a bit. That's now the bottom cymbal (sort of a thin set to start with) and I clearanced the crack a bit to eliminate any buzz from cracked edges touching. Been playing them several months and so far so good. I hope they last a while they do sound good. ;)

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

I've got 7 pre serial 602s--I'll check the stamps for cracks. (hope I don't find any).......marko

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here