Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.06681%

Is this Ziljian repairable??

I have a chance to buy this cymbal for next to nothing. It is a 22" Zildjian A.

Based on the picture does it look like some of the metal is removed or is it a typical case of bad patina that can be cleaned off?

I don't have a pic of the stamp but can anyone tell what era it's from based on the pic's provided.

It also has some keyholing but for the price that doesn't worry me much. I am more concerned with the cymbal braeking. I don't want it for any price if this may happen because of the green.

Thanks,

Posted on 14 years ago

I don't know what the experts would use to take that off, but it looks like it's removable to me. not much help, i know.

Posted on 14 years ago

I mean, really ... You're getting it for next to nothing. Heck, for an insanely low price, I'd buy it and at least try to work on it. Bad yogurt, cat urine, Axe body wash, ... Something! You're bound to find that magic ingredient to remove the funk. Experiment.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]IMHO ....looking at the sorta 'bubbling' under the [COLOR="Green"]verdgris[/COLOR] (that's what the green corrosion's called)...my guess is even after cleaning off the verdgris and patina there is gonna be some irregularity in the cymbal surface. Really looks like the metal is actually being eaten away a bit.

With that said....as McJ said...if cheap ($50 or less)....go for it. Use Barkeeper's Friend (I hear it now comes in a paste, too) and/or Wright's Copper Cream to get as much of the stuff off as you can (may take multiple applications) and then just wash it afterwards with dish soap.

It may still show some signs of the previous corrosion, but it certainly wouldn't make it prone to cracking IMHO.

For the keyhole...either leave it or just file it into more of a teardrop or egg-shape with a dremel or even just a round handfile (or even some rolled up sandpaper).

Too difficult to tell the era...the pics are too small.

If more than $50....eh....maybe not such a great deal.....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for all the help guys. With shipping it will be over $50.00. It sounds like you guys don't think it will break so I might try to get them to let it go for $50.00 with shipping. Hmmm what to do?

Posted on 14 years ago

Zim's Cleaner always does the trick for me... even on the super nasty ones.

Posted on 14 years ago

From LUDLOVER

Thanks for all the help guys. With shipping it will be over $50.00. It sounds like you guys don't think it will break so I might try to get them to let it go for $50.00 with shipping. Hmmm what to do?

I think $50 would be better spent on a cymbal in better shape.

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here