Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Is this a good trade?

So I have grown tired of this A Ping Ride I have and I put it up on Craigslist to see if anyone out there wanted to trade and this is what came up: The person says it's a "Zildjian Advedis Turkish 22" Ride". The picture below is all I could get from him I asked him for a close-up on the engraving no response yet. It has some pretty bad keyholeing going on but maybe it's a diamond in the ruff. I hope I can get a better idea from this forum on whats going on here and save me a trip out to him to listen to this thing..The Ping Ride I have is in pretty much new condition and is the 20" one from the A series. Thanks in advance!

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Aside from apparently forgetting to cover it with a drop cloth before painting the ceiling it looks like a winner to me. it will clean up just fine. Don't worry about the keyhole, it's old, you'll get over it, and besides that can be corrected with the right cymbal hardware and a rubber grommet. Ask the seller (trader) to send you a close up with his camera set to macro of the makers mark. I have never lost money on a cymbal, they are like gold or silver for the most part, somebody always seems to be willing to pay whatever price you deem fair. Life is short, swap, try it out, and if you don't like the way it sounds, pass it on to the next guy. Part of figuring out what sound you want is knowing what you don't want which means sorting through a lot of gear before you settle down a bit. If you do get it, I'd suggest not grabbing for the steel wool right away till you sense it's current sound quality. Just wipe it down with vinegar and a wash rag.

Glen

Posted on 13 years ago

EZ is right on all accounts- it's hard to lose on a cymbal if it's any good. But I would DEFINITELY demand a close-up of the engraving. In fact, EZ has better advice than I could have dispensed. Steel wool is probably the WORST thing you can use to clean a cymbal, IMO. Zildjian cymbal cleaner works best on Turkish-style cymbals.

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm still waiting on that picture of the engraving so I can identify the year. Maybe the fact its a 22 indicates something in regards to year? I never really heard of people cleaning cymbals with steel wool that sounds a bit abrasive and would change the sound of the cymbal if done frequently over time. If I feel like I need to clean a cymbal I'll usually just wipe it on my shirt a couple times before putting it the cymbal bag after a gig but thats about far as I'll take it. I like the character that a little patina or dust gives a cymbal.

Posted on 13 years ago

I actually like a bit of patina on a Turkish-style cymbal, myself. That being said, I get that dried-out sound with Paiste Colorsounds...

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 13 years ago

Looks like probably 1970's from lathing and hammering. It may be very similar to what you already have depending on weight, or could be quite different in sound character. Bottom line is how does it play/sound to you. The sound of these Avedis are all individual to some extent.

Posted on 13 years ago

That's exactly what I was thinking mountainhick I may be trading a new cymbal for a vintage cymbal but the characteristics may be very similar which is why I wanted to trade it out in the first place. Thanks for the info on the year too, I blew up the original picture he sent me where the stamp is located and from what I can make out it looks like a thin stamp which would support your theory of it being from the 70's good eye on the lathing, and hammering. I'm impressed and grateful as always from the information I get from the users of this forum! Clapping Happy2

Posted on 13 years ago

[COLOR="Purple"]Yes, even w/o the stamp I would have guessed that at it's oldest, it's a late, late 60's.. nothing older than that, just from the hammering, as noted above.

So, basically, what's the weight ?

Also...what do you WANT in sound ? Likelihood is it will be more complex in the overtones and the stic 'tic' will be woodier than the metallic quality of the Ping tic.

If it's over around 2800g, then it's heavier than a medium... and might not provide you with many degrees of separation from the Ping.

If it is lighter than 2500g then it's almost a Jazzer sorta cymbal and may be too washy for you.

The keyhole is nuthin', as far as performance goes....but DO keep in mind they do drive down the actual market value considerable...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 13 years ago

go see it and play it, if you like it its worth the trade.

Posted on 13 years ago

From EZduzzit

Aside from apparently forgetting to cover it with a drop cloth before painting the ceiling it looks like a winner to me. it will clean up just fine. Don't worry about the keyhole, it's old, you'll get over it, and besides that can be corrected with the right cymbal hardware and a rubber grommet. Ask the seller (trader) to send you a close up with his camera set to macro of the makers mark. I have never lost money on a cymbal, they are like gold or silver for the most part, somebody always seems to be willing to pay whatever price you deem fair. Life is short, swap, try it out, and if you don't like the way it sounds, pass it on to the next guy. Part of figuring out what sound you want is knowing what you don't want which means sorting through a lot of gear before you settle down a bit. If you do get it, I'd suggest not grabbing for the steel wool right away till you sense it's current sound quality. Just wipe it down with vinegar and a wash rag.Glen

STEEL WOOL?????????...On a cymbal?Sorry I don't want to hijack this thread,but those are two words that should NEVER be used in the same sentence.

More to the issue at hand though...that does look like a late 60's early 70's A Zildjian 22,and most of them sound great but a few sound amazing.Good trade;ping rides just don't do it for me.

Steve B

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here